MBP Thunderbolt wifi issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by morgzord, Jul 21, 2011.

1. morgzord, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

morgzord macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have an odd problem with my Thunderbolt port on my early 2011 MBP.
    I have been using a Moshi MDP to HDMI adapter for about a month with no problems, but now have found that either through faulty Moshi adapter or faulty thunderbolt port, that I will lose WIFI signal if the Moshi adapter is not attached properly.
    I have tested this through running WIFI speed tests while wiggling the Thunderbolt connection.
    Doing this I have been able to slow down/speed up the wifi connection speeds and then completely drop the signal if the thunderbolt port connection is pushed in certain ways.
    This very bizarre and assume that even if it was a faulty Moshi adapter, that something must be suspect with the Logic Board to affect the wifi/airport.
    At no point does manipulating the Thunderbolt connection affect the signal to my monitor which is 19" Acer running, thunderbolt > hdmi > dvi (which has never shown any issues).
    Am happy to take the MBP in and get it looked at, but wondered if anyone had run into this issue or had the same setup and was willing to test it.
    Cheers.

----- UPDATE: ------

So I can use the airport, but it cuts my internet speeds in half. Then unplugging the adapter will restore download speeds! Gotta be something on the Logic Board

2. Spiral21x macrumors newbie

I'm having a similar problem. I have a Dynex MiniDisplay port to HDMI adapter, and I use an HDMI to DVI cable to then plug in various external monitors to my new 2011 13'MBP running SL. With my one Dell monitor there is no problem, but with my Planar monitor the computer will not hold onto a wi-fi connection while the monitor is plugged in. It will connect but no data will transmit or it will work for a few minutes then drop it. As soon as I disconnect the cable everything is working fine within 10 seconds, and I've reproduced this several times now. Frustrating and strange. I think my best (and cheapest) option is go buy a MiniDisplay to DVI adapter and see if that solves it.
    --
    After seeing Morgzards update I did another test and I can confirm as well, even with the working dell monitor, it slowed my download speed to less than half! What's going on here?! It's like the external monitor usage causes the machine to draw power from the airport card. I hope this is firmware fixable.

3. Spiral21x macrumors newbie

4. Star Destroyer, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

I just noticed this issue too, I just picked up a Dynex minidisplay to DVI adapter and when its plugged in my wifi signal drops completely.

I dont think its anything to do with dvi, HDMI, VGA ect, but something faulty with the thunderbolt port...

Anyone have a fix?

UPDATE: I just called apple, and they say its my external display interfering with the way the thunderbolt port should work. They told me that i need to test it with an apple display because they cannot comment how third party manufactures handle the new port.

I think thats BS because the monitor functions flawlessly, the MBP is the one with WIFI issues...

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    lmao- reminiscent of the whole sata3 debacle, with apple blaming the 3rd party ssd mfds!

6. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Yeah i know eh ?

I asked on the apple rep while i was on the line with her "is there a chance its not the monitor, the monitor works as it should with no issues. It seems more likely that there is something wrong with the thunderbolt port, or wifi connection." She told me that is most likely not the case, and it NEEDS to be tested with an apple router, apple adapter and an apple display.

I guess tomorrow I get to head into bestbuy and ask them if i can borrow there gear, because honestly, how else am I supposed to test that!? My nearest apple store is a 4 hour drive, and the only repair shop in town is small office with a drop off desk. They don't sell apple products, just repairs so i doubt they have all those things.

7. Nexxorcist, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

Nexxorcist macrumors newbie

I'm having this problem too. Whenever I plug in my Cintiq via dvi-thunderbolt my wifi basically dies. The second I unplug the thunderbolt, wifi works normally again. Did you or anyone else ever figure this out?

EDIT: Hey everybody, I switched my router to Wireless N-Only and it seems to be working fine for now.

EDIT 2: I take that back, it still tweaks out. wtf

8. ADeggan macrumors newbie

Yup, exact same problem as Nexxorcist.
    Cintiq + thunderbolt = dead WIFI