MBP & Time Machine - backing up to a network drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theNEOone, Dec 23, 2008.

1. theNEOone macrumors 6502

Can somebody clarify whether or not it's possible to save Time Machine Backups to a generic network drive? I have a stand-alone drive that is connected directly to my router.

I've read that this kind of setup is not officially supported by Apple, but that it might still work. I have yet to see anything definitive, however.

=|

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Make sure that your router supports connecting USB drives. If it does, I know it will work. I have seen some good articles out there on how to do it. It can be a complicated process though. I know that you have to format your external HD a certain way before it will work.

3. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I have an external drive connected to my Airport Extreme. The drive is 1TB, and is in three partitions. My wife and I each have a partition for wireless Time Machine backups.

The initial backup will take quite a while, but after that, you won't even notice. It works like a charm. A google search directed me to an old thread here at MR regarding the intricacies of the set up.

Good luck, it's a very workable set up.

EDIT:
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/19/time-machine-now-works-with-airport-extremes-airdisk-feature/

Check out this link for the step by step (I think on page 7): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=457214

4. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, thanks - can I get around the slow first backup by simply doing a direct USB/firewire transfer from a MBP then connecting the drive to my router?

=|