MBP -> Time Machine -> New iMac: Can this be done?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GuyInTheBack, Sep 2, 2011.

1. GuyInTheBack macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

So I just got a sleek, shiny, and alright I'll just say it, SEXY iMac with a TB Time Machine. God, so sexy.

Anyway, up until now and for most of college I had been using this 'old' all-silver Macbook Pro which doubled as my main source of entertainment (TV shows, music, etc.).

As you can imagine, a LOT of crap accumulated. File duplicates, folders on folders, and forgotten s*$T. I'd like a relatively new start now.

This is in all likelihood a remedial question but (given that I'm completely unfamiliar with the Time Machine) is there a way to:

- First dump everything unto the time machine
    - And then Pick & Choose to send some files to the new iMac (Mp3, select videos, some word docs and no duplicates)?
    - Forward my browser settings (the only clean set-up on this computer. Fast dial, logos, and all).

.....And would there by any chance be an easy online tutorial for this somewhere out there? :D

2. err404 macrumors 68020

AFAIK the TM restore is all or nothing. However you can mount up the TM backup and manually copy the files you want to keep.

3. GuyInTheBack thread starter macrumors member

GuyInTheBack

I should probably put a full day aside for this then. Remedial question #2:

I already have a router set-up, do I absolutely have to use the Time Machine as my internet router as well or can I just use it as a remote drive between laptop and iMac? :confused:

4. err404 macrumors 68020

I've never tried it, but you should be able to setup the Time Capsule as a bridge to your current network. So long as it is on the same network as your other devices you should be able to connect to the disk.