MBP: To Buy or Not to Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alorain, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Alorain macrumors newbie

Ok folks, here is the deal.

I will be attending college in the fall and will be majoring in Computer Science; therefore owning my own computer will be a somewhat must-have. I do not own a desktop, nor will I be buying one, so I would like to get a 15' mbp to act as both my desktop-replacement and portable class computer.

Will Apple be introducing a new variant in the fall, say around sept-oct? I can make my Ibook G4 last a couple of months in the fall, so its not urgent that I get a mbp for the first couple of months.

Do you foresee apple releasing an upgraded mbp sometime in the next 6 months? Should I wait for the 2010 USB 3.0 variant? I HATE buying computers might before significant updates. Thank you!

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Maybe in October as most years something gets released then, however if you need a new machine now just get it. Look wise it wont change much.

3. o2xygen macrumors regular

Buy it when you need it. No one here knows whats going to be going on in sept/oct. Its a long time away, I say wait til then and start looking for rumors. Besides even when USB 3.0 comes out Apple wont do a refresh just for it. It will wait till its nest refresh is due and add it in. So if you think theres going to be a refresh in sep/oct, and if USB 3.0 comes out Janurary 1st(i dont know or care) then Apple wont be featuring it in their MBP's till most likely april or something.

Theres 4 of these threads a day, its getting a bit silly now

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

There will always be something better in the future. You can buy now and enjoy your new computer, or buy later but at the cost of not having an enjoyable notebook for a few months because you want the next best thing.

That being said, this is how I see the rest of the year going for Apple

July: iPhone G3
    August-September: Back to school Promo (clear out iPod touch stock)
    September-October: iPod touch 3G
    October: Notebook speed bumps (15" matte?)

Throw in Snow Leopard and maybe a netbook or other mystery product somewhere in there and you got yourself my predictions for 2009.

Personally, I'm waiting for "the next big thing" before I bite the bullet. And that is because I want a 15" matte MBP screen. It's that important to me.

5. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Go buy a notebook when they start giving out free iPods for college kids :p. That's what I did. True, the Unibodies came out a few months after, but to tell the truth, I didn't really care because I was already happy with my system.

There will always be new technology around the corner; these damn computers get refreshed in less than a year most of the time, so one way or another you gotta learn to be happy with what you have.

This being said, you might as well wait until you can get a free iPod out of the deal :D.