MBP to ext?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dwd3885, Jan 30, 2009.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

So I have the systems in my sig, the dell hooked up to a Dell 2007WFP monitor. Here's my dilemma, I guess you could say.

I have always either formatted the dell, putting windows 7, vista, osx86 and am not really pleased with any of the results. System runs fine, but it just isn't the same as a plain old mac, like my MBP. Windows is ok, but this new iLife with faces and iMovie is awesome. And I'm just thinking about how hard it is to keep everything in sync on both computers (data wise) and am thinking it would just be easier having one computer.

So I guess I'm thinking about getting a mini displayport adapter and hooking up my macbook pro to it so i can use it as a desktop when needing that. How well does the MBP work as a desktop? Do any of you have only one computer and use their laptop as a desktop to an external monitor? I'm afraid since I don't have a lot of room on my desk, if I'm going to be able to put both on the desk. Or should I just get something like an mstand and use the laptop as that?

2. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

My subjective opinion is definitely. I have always had a MacPro. But lately I've been thinking what do I get from the MacPro that the MBP doesn't
    provide?

So I'm thinking sell the MacPro, and use the cash for something else.

All the storage I need is now connected by wifi, with the 802.11N it's acceptably speedy.

And although I have a bunch of ram in the MacPro, the 4GB on the MBP is more than adequate.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I used to have the Dell 2007WFP before I sold it to upgrade to my current display. I always run my laptop as a desktop with the external as the only display. I leave my computer on an upper shelf above my monitor on top of a Griffin Elevator.