MBP to Genius Bar for repairs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gix1k, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

My new 2019 MBP is making a loud buzzing sound which I believe is the fan. It gets faster and louder and I begin working on it. It quiets down, but's it's never silent. You can certainly tell when I am using it.

Question: I have LOTS of sensitive data on my Mac. Is my data secure when I take it to the Genius Bar, if I don't give them my passwords? I am not sure if Mac's are like the phones and no one can access the data without a password.

I am not sure how to handle getting this repaired.

Thanks in advance,

2. AJAAY macrumors 6502

AJAAY

You'll need to provide your password to the Mac. If you really are worried about the data, you can transfer it to an external drive or upload it to iCloud then erase it on your MBP before taking it in.

From personal experience you shouldn't be worried about your data. There is more of a threat of the data accidentally being erased, than someone snooping at it. I had my white MacBook (circa 2006) and I ended up getting a brand new MacBook and they transferred all of my personal files from the old MacBook to the new MacBook. I had no issues, and all my data was there.

3. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

They can’t use a guest account or one I create for the repair?

4. AJAAY macrumors 6502

AJAAY

YMMV. From my understanding, they'll ask for the administrator password. I don't know what will happen if you refuse to give it to them, or just tell them to use a guest account. My personal recommendation is to just back up the hard drive and erase it before bringing it in. It would probably be the easier solution.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Create a "second administrator account" with a username and password of your choice.

Don't "put anything in it" -- it's just there so that the Apple Store genius guy can log in and look around.

I doubt they're going to bother or go digging around in your regular account...