MBP to iMac extended desktop - Wirelessly

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RubberShoes, Dec 4, 2011.

1. RubberShoes macrumors regular

I am not sure what subcategory this somewhat simple question belongs in, but I figure it is somewhat related to displays so I'll place it here. I apologize if it should be somewhere else, let me know :)

Anyway, I have a 2009 13" MBP and a 24" iMac. I want to be able to use my MBP on remote desktop, but increase the resolution and use the real estate of my larger, 1920x1200 24" iMac.

Full details:
    I am a film student, while in New York I have an old 23" ACD with the whole DVI to ADC adapter. I get 1920x1200 out of the DisplayPort and keyboard and mouse and everything's great. In the end I have a small laptop to use all around campus and when I get back to my dorm I have a great desktop environment, all using one machine.

However, when I am home, I have no such thing, but I do have a 24" iMac with the same resolution screen.

I'm using Avid, Final Cut, all that crap on my MBP and am not going to spend hours trying to set it all up on the iMac. I'll only be home for a couple weeks (i.e. winter break) so I just want a simple solution,

like Air Display,

but from one mac to the next instead of one mac to an iPad or iPhone

Correct me if I am wrong but remote desktop will simulate my 13" screen. Only giving me 1280x800 to work with, and that pretty much defeats the purpose, so I am wondering if there is some sort of workaround. I have no problems "extending" my desktop to achieve the larger 16:10 resolution, as long as I can get Avid running on something larger than the equivalent of a 1960s color television set.

Thanks for your time and all (or any) of your responses.

-
    RubberShoes

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Is something like ScreenRecycler what you're looking for? I've never used it and can't vouch for it, but my understanding its that it relies on VNC (or something derived from it) to transmit images from one computer to the other. In fact, the author's popular Jolly's Fast VNC program arose because of this (and that one I have used with much success).

It's $30 and the Lion-compatible version is only in beta, but there's a free trial period.

3. RubberShoes thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!