MBP to LCD TV, small words please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lyz2814, Dec 26, 2008.

1. lyz2814 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am having trouble getting my MBP (Spring '08) to display on my Sony Bravia TV. In the past, I have had no issues with connecting the TV, via the VGA-in, to my 12" powerbook G4, as well as my XP tower and laptop.

I do have a DVI-to-VGA adapter (I've actually tried the one that came with the machine, as well as other pin configs I had around the house), but I get "No Signal," even though the MBP detects the Sony TV. I have fiddled with resolutions on both the MBP and the TV (via the MBP interface) to no joy.

This TV does have an HDMI input, as well as 3 S-Video inputs, and one YPbPr (component?) input. I am tempted to try a DVI to HDMI cable, but the manual for this TV intones "Do not connect a PC to the TV's HDMI input," which is a little ominous....

Any advice? I have done searches, but found nothing that answers my question quite 100%. Thanks in advance!

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

try hooking it up via the dvi->hdmi cable, I can't see any reason it would be unsafe to attach to the tv. the only problem you may run into will be the resolution. try to "detect displays" after the hdmi connection is made.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Connecting any computer to the TV's HDMI is fine, its not unsafe at all, im using my TV as a screen right now for my Mac Pro to write here, just go for it, you wont get High Definition Quality Films, DVD's, Games or TV though from your laptop if your connecting from DVI Out from your Macbook to HDMI In on the TV, even though its a high definition TV.