MBP to MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by uplusd, Dec 5, 2008.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

Has anyone gone from the Early 2008 MBPs to the new MBs? If so, can you please share your reactions. Is the MB significantly lighter? Does the smaller screen size bother you?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

2. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

In terms of size/weight, I prefer the MB hands down. Although the specs aren't that far apart, the MB feels significantly lighter and battery life seems substantially better. The one BIG difference between the two machines is the quality of the screen. The MBP screen is exponentially better than the one on the MB. That said, you can easily find a colour profile to help balance things off. In the end, the MB screen is still better than most PC notebooks.

The other difference is 'snappiness'. I currently have the 2.4Ghz MB with 4GB DDR3 RAM, but the HD is 5200rpm (the MBP had 7200rpm). I assume the very slight speed difference results from these different HD speeds. For me, the MB was a much better value. The power of the two machines is almost equal and the screen quality isn't a concern because I'm buying an external monitor.

In the end, your needs will determine which machine is best.

3. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Really? I rarely get more than 3 hours without turning the brightness to minimum, and even then I might only get 3 and a half.

Is the pro really worse than that? I love my MacBook, it's my first notebook, but that's a big disappointment to me, are all laptops like that?

If so, what is the point of them :p

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Battery life is a touchy issue because it involves so many variables. If you want to prolong battery life, you should minimize the amount of background processes (e.g. bluetooth). I get at least 4 hours of battery life with a dimmed display (not on the lowest setting, though). The MBP had significantly worse battery life - especially if you enabled the 9600.

In general, 4 hours is pretty good for a stock battery. Too bad Apple doesn't offer a larger capacity battery as an add-on.

5. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I went from early 2007 MBP to late 2007 MB. For what I was using it for the MB made more sense, but now I wish I hadn't switched over. I like the discreet video on the MBP a lot more, as well as teh bigger screen size too (well, resolution more accurately.) I also liked not having to buy a cable to use an external screen, as well as the better internal screen.

6. bradleyjx macrumors member

I've got one of the new MB waiting for me at home (studying abroad in Japan right now), and 3 hours sounds just fine compared to what I have right now. Right now I'm using a Dell Latitude D610 that I bought 3.5 years ago, replaced the 6-cell battery last winter, and use a 6-cell bay battery (so I have 12 cells going right now) and I'm lucky to hit 3.5 hours conserving battery life.

For laptops, 3 hours is pretty good if you are a medium user; for someone like me who's a pretty heavy computer user, I'm fine with 2-2.5 hours from a laptop.

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Going from MBP to macbook is a downgrade any way you cut it right now. Sure, you get the nice new design, but you give up dvi, dual display output, firewire, two inches, expresscard, and I believe you'll lose 30-60 minutes battery life. Your Q1-onward 2008 MBP is probably quicker than the new macbook as is, has more vram, is cheaper to upgrade, and it already suppotrs neat stuff like swipe gestures. At $1000 off, I'd get a late MBP now myself instead of the unibody.

8. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Yes, the MB can be viewed as a 'downgrade', but not in all respects. You're mistaken on battery life, vRAM, gestures, and upgrades.

The stated battery life for the MB is 5 hours (compared to the MBP which is 4/4.5). If you consider real world computing, that number drops a bit. Design and trackpad gestures are identical between the two machines. The extra vRAM (only the 2.53Ghz model and up) will NOT translate into faster computing. The card is 128 bit so I'm not sure it can even utilize the full 512MB of vRAM. More importantly, however, until SnowLeopard is released, I doubt you will notice any difference in real world applications. Even when SL is released, there is still no guarantee that the extra 256MB of vRAM will make a noticeable difference (and again, this depends on what you use the computer for). Concerning the cost of upgrades, any savings with the MBP is offset by various 'hidden fees'. By this, I simply mean that you have to pay more for Apple Care, external cases, etc. It's not a huge point, but it's something you should keep in mind.

In the end, I think the deciding factors should be size, weight, and screen quality. You need to ask yourself what you'll be using the computer for and base your decision on that. If you're going to carry the computer around (say, in a backpack), 1lb can mean a world of difference. From a performance perspective, the high-end MB is almost identical to the low-end MBP. In my case, the only tangible sacrifice was the screen quality. Even then, the screen on the MB is arguably better than most. And with the money I saved from 'downgrading', I'm going to buy a kick ass monitor to watch movies on (that will obviously blow the MBP screen out of the water).

Remember, 'downgrade' is a relative term - it depends on what your needs are. The MB can be viewed as a 'downgrade', but the MBP can also be viewed as 'overkill'.

9. DqP macrumors newbie

Best Move I've made

First off, my macbook is my life. it never leaves my side. I carry it everywhere...in restaurants, into the grocery stores, even in church.

Back in March, i upgraded from my Black Macbook (1st Gen) to my MBP (Santa Rosa) I was hesitant to but i needed it as a business purchase. Since then, i lugged it around everywhere and noticed a huge difference with it. I main thing i wanted from it was the faster chip, and backlit keyboard. I didnt need the express card because i don't want devices draining my battery. I liked having firewire but it's not critical.

What I didnt like from it was the extra weight, even small took a toll after a long day. Also, my lap didnt enjoy the extra furnace it was holding up.

When these new MBs came out i told myself i was going to wait until the next iteration before buying. Best buy had the $150 off plus (+18 mth same as cash) and it was over. I couldn't get to the store fast enough. Within 2 days, i ordered 4Gb RAM + 500Gb 7200RPM. Now this thing rocks! does everything i need.

Runs cooler, runs longer, the trackpad gestures kicks *ss, love the fact they got rid of the useless "enter" key next to arrows and made it an "option" so i could use it with spaces, glossy screen (not my preference) is absolutely brilliant. This thing is friggin beautiful! Now, my back and my lap thanks me every day for it.

I pull out my MBPro a few days ago...felt like a ginormous ton of bricks. Holy crap, i couldn't believe i lugged that thing around for the last....still love it though but it's retired to the desk.

I highly recommend it.