MBP to Toshiba HDTV = No worky! Why??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EatMyApple, Feb 14, 2009.

1. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I am trying to connect my Toshiba HDTV to my MBP so I can watch episodes downloaded off iTunes. I got the Mini-Display Port to VGA adapter and the MBP recognizes the TV as a display, but I can't get a picture/sound on the TV end...

The TV doesn't even highlight the VGA input to be selected so its like its not recognizing the MBP but the MBP is finding the TV.

Anyone know why??? Or how it can be fixed?

Thank you in advance!!!

2. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Did you set your TV to PC input??? (e.g. it should have 2-3 HDM, 1-2 component, 1-2 composite, etc) set it to PC input, also make sure you connect a mini-jack for the audio, otherwise the sound will come out of the laptop and not the tv.

3. nusynergy macrumors regular

Tosh are having LOTS of issues with ppl and HDMI atm. A lot of there Tv's dont work with Ps3's ether. Most Proberbly ya issue.

4. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I tried moving the input from ANT to PC but it says the PC is hidden with or without the cable plugged in. Does the hidden mean anything or just that its not selectable where there is no VGA cable plugged in to the TV?

5. eldy macrumors 6502

It might not be selectable until the TV detects a signal for that input. Turn the TV on and set it to the proper input. Plug the MBP into the TV. Once your MBP screen flashes off and turns back on, you should be able to see the video on your TV. You will have to run a separate audio connection to get audio out of your MBP to the TV or receiver.

6. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I finally played with the TV settings and somehow got it working. When I pull up iTunes and try to play a downloaded episode that I purchased off iTunes, it brings up an error that states: "A display has been detected that is not authorized to play protected movies. Please disconnect any displays that are not HDCP authorized."

I am guessing iTunes is blocking HD content protection on bigger screens for some reason.

Anyway around this or am I screwed?

Thanks for all the help so far!