MBP to TV Hookup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NikonD3s, Aug 10, 2011.

1. NikonD3s macrumors newbie

Tried hooking up my Pioneer PDP-5080HD/PDP-4280HD plasma display to my brand new 15" MBP. All I could get to show up was the pic of the Galaxy that Lion has. No Doc or anything else. I bought an HDMI to Display Port (Thunderbolt Port) adapter (Rocket Fish) from Best Buy for $25. Any ideas why it isn't working? Should I get an adapther from Apple?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

It's working. It's not set to mirror mode, though, since the two displays probably don't have the same resolution. Either drag whatever window you want over to the TV (out the left or right of the MBP display) or set the displays to mirror mode under System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement.

3. NikonD3s thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh? On my OSX Lion MBP, there isn't any "Arrangement" option "Mirror" in Displays. Only resolution options.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You mean you don't have these options when you connect to your TV?

Screen Shot 2011-08-10 at 10.41.57 PM.png

5. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

OP, he literally means at the top left of your screen, go to the apple menu --> system prefs --> display

and youll see what all you can do there, I usually just put it all in "mirror" and close the lid on the laptop.

If your screen doesnt fill up the entirety of the external, you can then set in display to "overscan" which should be a check box.

And then most newer TV's require you to manually adjust their input resolution, so there should be something in your tv about "just scan" or "set by program" etc.. just flip through them until the screen is filled

6. NikonD3s thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't go into system preferences-display after I hooked up the TV with the adapter. I returned the adapter, so I can't do it now. But you are saying that the options change in display, once it's hooked up?

7. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

yep. like the above picture. you can than select which monitor you want to be your own monitor by selecting the apple menu bar and dragging it to which ever screen you want.

you can also change the relation to the screen, i.e...is the 2nd screen to the right, the left, top, or bottom, etc in relation to your mac so the cursor moves over fluidly.

just a tip also. you can also get a Thunderbolt to HDMI for much cheaper through monoprice.com :)

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Of course they do. Why would the MBP display options for an external screen without one connected? It's only logical that those options are viewable when one is connected.