Mbp to TV not being recognized.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by josephcohen, Oct 22, 2009.

1. josephcohen macrumors newbie

I have the latest Macbook Pro and I'm having problems connecting it to a TV.

it looks like this.

15" Macbook Pro ---> Mini Display Port to DVI adapter ---> DVI to VGA adapter ---> VGA to VGA ---> VGA port on TV

And I have set the input on the TV to PC (the VGA input) but when I go to display preferences and click detect displays nothing happens. And the TV just says no signal. Whats going on? I even tried restarting! One thing that I must note is that there are 18 pins on the DVI to VGA adapter but 24 holes for pins on the Mini Display Port to DVI adapter. Shouldn't this work?

2. phormality macrumors newbie

I’d get a Mini Displayport to VGA adaptor. You have way too many possible points of failure there, especially with the different pinned DVI. The extra 4(?) pins which are only on some DVI ports on the right side carry the analog signal, without those it has no way to pass off the data to the VGA cable. Not sure if this is the case with you, but google for DVI pin configuration and you can probably figure out if this is your problem

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/A

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

2 adapters may work. 3? That's probably what is going wrong. There are difference in DVI ports. For Mac mainly it being Dual Link or Single. Single can plug into Dual, but Dual cant plug into Single. As long as yours physically plugs into it, it shouldn't be an issue.

5. josephcohen thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, then maybe I could just get a new DVI to VGA adapter. one that has the same amount of pins as there are holes instead of less like the one I have now. that would be much cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Startech-Disp...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256322868&sr=8-1

In fact it would only cost shipping if I got it from amazon. haha.

Do you think it will work if i get that?

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

7. josephcohen thread starter macrumors newbie

well I will be using this same setup for a dual screen monitor setup when I get one, but the tv I am trying it on is a SONY. that's all i know about it. I think I may also try it on my POLAROID TV.

8. rowsdower macrumors 6502

As noted by many comments on the product page, the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter that Apple sells does not include the analog pins, and cannot be used with a DVI-VGA adapter. It should work with the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter that Apple sells, or (maybe) with a third party Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter and a DVI-VGA adapter.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Do they support HDMI? If yes, see post #3 above.

10. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Check out http://www.monoprice.com like someone mentioned above. A legit website that makes (or contracts) their own cables and sell them at dirt cheap prices.

11. josephcohen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the answers.

i think I will actually go for this one, because I will primarily be using all these adapters for when I get a dual monitor. and I doubt an lcd monitor i will be getting wil have hdmi support.