MBP to TV via HDMI problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tacticus, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Tacticus macrumors newbie

I am trying to connect my MacBook Pro Retina to a Philips HD TV via HDMI cable from the hdmi slot in the MacBook but all I get on the TV screen is "Video format not supported". The display settings on the MBP seem to recognise that there is a Philips TV connected but the mirroring option is not enabled.

Has anybody had success with this hdmi slot or is it best to go thunderbolt ?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Works for me, both over HDMI and DP-HDMI adapter.
    Is your TV a FullHD or HDReady model?
    In either case, try to manually select appropriate resolution in System Preferences - 1920x1080 for FullHD, 1280x720 for HDReady. Refresh rate somewhere 50 or 60 Hz.

3. Tacticus thread starter macrumors newbie

It's HD ready. It works ok from my Mac mini but that's with the DV connector but hdmi to hdmi from the MacBook seems to be a problem. Thanks for the info anyway.

4. durkkin macrumors regular

Try doing it not using mirroring and manually setting resolution. It's possible your rMBP is trying to mirror pixel for pixel and the TV can't handle that.

There's also keyboard shortcuts for mirroring/display out. I believe it is Cmd+F1 to switch back and forth between mirroring.

5. Tacticus thread starter macrumors newbie