MBP to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zonita, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Zonita macrumors newbie

Hi

I've connected my MBP to my TV and now have display.

I also have a gold plated stereo adaptor and some RCA cables.

I've connected the stereo adaptor with the RCA cables to the TV via the headphone port, however there is still no sound!!!

I've gon to system preferences, sound, output, and my TV isn't there to choose from?

Thanks in advance!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What cable and adapter and input on your TV did you choose for video, and is the input for video the same as for audio (channel wise)? And you won't find the words "TV" in the Sound preferences, as it will not recognise a TV via an analog cable like 3.5mm to RCA.

And what TV model/brand do you have?

How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

3. Zonita thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I'm not good with this stuff, I just plugged the RCA into the only thing it fitted into which said audio, I chose "PC" input on my TV which worked for the display but not for the sound.

I just meant there was no reference to a TV at all, the only option to choose from is internal speakers, and my TV is an LG flat screen ting no idea which model.

Thanks for your help.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

And which adapter did you use to connect the video part of the whole shebang?
    You can find out the exact model of your TV by looking at the manual, the box or even the TV itself, it might be on the back or on the bottom though. Normally it's a black or white or silver sticker with black or white letters or maybe it is listed in the TV's menu or on the remote or even on the front.

And connecting an external speaker (which you want to use the TV for in this case) should show as Line-Out in the Sound preferences.

Use the following guide I linked to earlier to tell us what adapter and ports you used, if you have a digital camera, make some photos and upload them here via the [​IMG] button.
    How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV
    How to Use Preview for Basic Image Editing: Crop, Rotate and Resize

5. moel macrumors 6502

You will either

Find an option on the tv that allows you to select where the macbooks sound is coming from

Otherwise

Most 'pc' tellys have a 3.5 jack just like the one on the side of your macbook. Which is the only one that it'll accept sound from. So you need a cable with a headphone jack on either end. However CHECK the back of your telly to confirm this is the case before you buy.

With the cable plugged in, the mac should say output = 'headphones'

6. Zonita thread starter macrumors newbie

Oooh sorry, a VGI to DVA cable or something with a similar name?
    Oh yes, the model is 22LH2000-ZA
    The guide is going straight over my head but i watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBMOisbsmlY
    in order to buy and connect the correct stuff..obviosuly it didn't work?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac do you have?

Look for the Model Identifier here (#3) and report back.
    [​IMG]

Looking at the manual I realise, that it has many different input choices. Have you taken a look at the manual yet (page 37 and following)?

If you have a 2010 Mac, you can use a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter to transfer video and sound, if you get the right adapter.

8. Zonita thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a MacBookPro7,1
    I realise there's probably other ways of doing it, I just wanted to try and get it working with what I have. Is there nothing else to check to see if I've done something wrong?

9. moel macrumors 6502

Seriously...the issue lies with your TV and not your Macbook.

Right...i've had a look at your instructions.

You need a 3.5mm jack to 3.5 mm jack to do the audio.

it looks like this [​IMG]

Plug one end into the audio out on your mac

Plug the other end into the audio in (rgb/dvi)

which is about 2cm's up from the pc vga input on the back of your telly

Bobs your uncle...job done!