MBP Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by snickerstonight, Oct 29, 2008.

1. snickerstonight macrumors newbie

I found a listing for a new Macbook Pro. It sports the old body, i.e. aluminum sans black highlights. It is posted in my area, so naturally I would pick up the machine in person. It does, however, sound too good to be true. Here are the specs, PLEASE tell me when you think.

$800 - New Apple Macbook Pro 17" 2.5 Ghz 4GB RAM NVIDIA 250GB!

Condition: new

New Apple Macbook Pro 17" 2.5 Ghz 4GB RAM NVIDIA 250GB!

2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) Accessory Kit Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English 4GB 667 DDR2 - 2x2GB SO-DIMMs MacBook Pro 17-inch HI RES GLOSSY 1920x1200 Widescreen Display 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm Nvidia GeForce Graphics with 512 MB SDRAM Apple Care 90 days 1 YEAR Warranty Leopard INSTALLED!

Also includes: 1 x Firewire 400 Port 1 x Firewire 800 Port 2 x USB 2.0 Ports 1 x Expresscard/34 Expansion slot 1 x Gigabit Ethernet Port 1 x DVI Output Airport Extreme Card for 802.11n/g/b wireless networking Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) 85W Magsafe Power adaptor with

All of the usual software that you get with a Mac, such as iLife 08 and OS X Leopard are included as well as the following pro applications, which will come with burnt copies of the original install discs and a serial code in case you have to re-install, however you do have the 'Time Machine' backup function, so it is unlikely you will need to use them. Burnt discs are included as we need to keep the originals for future installations.

MacBook Pro comes with an incredible bundle of Universal applications that run on both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs:

MacBook Pro also includes these applications:

• FileMaker Pro Trial • QuickBooks for Mac New User Edition • Microsoft Office 2007 for Mac Test Drive

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sounds a lil too cheap for what youre getting

3. DYER macrumors 6502

Sounds a little too good to be true tbh however if you can ask to have a look at it and confirm that is what he is asking might be an idea.... it is possible he forogt a 1 at the beginning ie 1800$ allthough still a daned good deal. if the seller is within driving distance going round to have a look may be a good idea.

4. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

5. snickerstonight thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually a college student at LSU in Louisiana. Well, the item was posted for the New Orleans area, but the chick just responded to my e-mail saying that she is from California. Here is her response.

"yes,i still have it,and it goes with the receipt and warranty,I got it as a gift...it is new and never opened, so i decided to sell this one it because i need some cash urgently to pay my bills.i live in bells California so do let me know when you want to come pick it up so i can give you my home address.or if you want me to ship to you..If it is need to be shipped,i can take care of that,i have an account with Fedex so it should not be a problem.Pls let me know.
    thanks"

So what do you all think? I cannot possibly pass up this machine for this price, but I have no idea how I would go about handling this. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

6. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

^^^^^^I call scam. It was a gift, I moved, the bad grammer all make it a definite scam.

7. eman macrumors 6502a

How does the seller want to be paid? Ask for the serial number, so you can check the Apple warranty info.
    The only way I would buy this macbook is with Paypal and put it on my credit card, period.

Oh, and smells like a scam. Why would someone need to advertise so far away.

8. six.four macrumors 6502

it's a scam. the original listing from where this was copied from is ebay.

Item number: 160294194200

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Lots of people have FED Ex accounts

11. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

12. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Scam x2!

13. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Nobody I know.

14. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Something also doesn't sit right with the way she said "so I decided to sell this one"

How many has she got? That and the fed ex account.

15. six.four macrumors 6502

I have a fedex account - I know alot of people that do. Fedex is my preferred shipping carrier of choice.

There is no doubt, however, that this listing is a scam. As noted before, the real listing came from ebay and the scammer simply copy and pasted the ad.

16. snberk103 macrumors 603

I say scam too. If she has a FedEx acct, then she probably has a business of some sort. Even with bills to be paid, she wouldn't let a new machine go for this cheap. She could sell it just as fast for twice the price. And she wouldn't need to advertize so far away. If she was truly that desperate to get $800 for it, she could do it locally and get cash, and not worry about the buyer scamming her. (not that you would - be someone might)...

17. fxstb2002 macrumors member

Probably found this on craigslist too. This scam is on there all the time.

18. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I stand corrected.
    I sit funny, too.

19. gothamm macrumors 6502a

20. snickerstonight thread starter macrumors newbie