MBP TouchBar quesiton

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
How in the world do you force a Restart or Shutdown on these since you no longer have a power button?

I had a problem an hour ago with a program that locked up the computer. I could do NOTHING!!!! I could click nothing including the Force Quit menu item.

I tried closing the lid, but when I reopened, it was just as it was and the display had not went off.

Eventually, the computer shut off and immediately restarted......and back to normal.

If I had a power button, it would have been faster and easier. Is there a way to do this now that the button is gone?

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
How in the world do you force a Restart or Shutdown on these since you no longer have a power button?

I had a problem an hour ago with a program that locked up the computer. I could do NOTHING!!!! I could click nothing including the Force Quit menu item.

I tried closing the lid, but when I reopened, it was just as it was and the display had not went off.

Eventually, the computer shut off and immediately restarted......and back to normal.

If I had a power button, it would have been faster and easier. Is there a way to do this now that the button is gone?
As GoldfishRT mentions, the fingerID is also the power button. Press and hold it for about 5 second and it should power off your machine.

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
wat.

~8 seconds to force power off is pretty common for pretty much every computer I've ever worked with (Macs, PCs, servers, you name it)
Sorry "TouchID." Surely you knew what I meant. "TouchID" sounds as though it is identifying the way you "touch" the button rather than ID'ing your fingerprint. FondleID? (☉_☉) :)

I said in my original post that it had to be held for 5 seconds, but Apple actually says 6s "you can hold down Touch ID for six seconds to force a shut down." I obviously counted to fast :)