MBP Trackpad friction- Is it just me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Swift Sketcher, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Sometimes when using the trackpad, I find it can be very difficult to smoothly drag my fingers around. Other times, it's perfectly smooth. I'm thinking it's just my hands, but I generally try to keep my hands clean before using the mac, so what could be the cause of this varying friction? Does even the slightest moisture on the hand do this?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

My trackpad is a bit oily, from my fingers, so works fine, but I do understand that sometimes there are issues. Especially when my fingers hit the case and start trying to move the mouse on that instead ;)

3. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

I have that EXACT problem, when my hands are completely 100% dry, its really SMOOTH, however when they have the slightest bit of moisture, for example, from touching a glass of water, it generates friction and becomes quite uncomfortable to use!

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Just run your finger along whatever clothes your wearing, will dry it off nicely and no more friction. And use a straw in future to drink your juice ;)

5. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

I have very expensive designer clothes and would rather NOT run my finger across them :D

haha!

That actually works, thanks for suggesting that :)

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

not to mention eventually you'll wear out the texture on the trackpad, making it smooth. More surface area against your finger leads to more friction. :)

7. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

I try wiping my fingers on my clothes, and it's hit or miss. So in a few months, my trackpad will wear a bit and be easier to use? My MBP is still generally new.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

well, no. A dry smooth surface against your finger will offer more friction than a trackpad with its texture intact. Smooth trackpads have more friction due to more of the material in contact with your finger.

Think race car slick tire. Unless there's some sort of oil, a smooth surface will have more friction.

9. Swift Sketcher thread starter macrumors regular

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No. If it's wet or oily it's typically stickier.

You should clean it.