MBP - trackpad with dent in the middle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philMBP, Dec 19, 2007.

1. philMBP macrumors 6502

Hopefully you folks can tell me if this is normal...

My trackpad is a bit uneven where the top most part meets the aluminum caseing. Right in the top-middle, the height-gap is a bit larger making it look (or in actuality) bent or warped.

I don't have my digi-cam but I painted a black line on this attachment to illustrate the gap.

Does anyone else have this kind of unevenness of the trackpad area?

Attached Files:

2. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

I would say we would have to see an actual picture to know what you are talking about.

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

what..? are you serious..?

OP, you shouldn't have a "dent" or any "gap" on the trackpad. we don't need to see an actual picture. your make-shift image and description worked just fine for the over 18 crowd.

Take your Mac to the genius bar and see what they can do.

"i would say we would have to see an actual picture.."....sheesh! :rolleyes:

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Man, finally a sensible response to one of these questions. A dent is a flaw; a defect. Take your computer in and get it replaced or repaired!

5. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

Most definitely NOT normal. You should take it to the Genius Bar pronto.

6. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

7. philMBP thread starter macrumors 6502

It's hard to tell if it's really a dent and not just a gap. This could also be caused by the exterior aluminum case - which could be slightly convexed in that area?
    Unfortunately there are no Apple stores here (Ottawa Canada). The nearest is hours away.

8. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

does it function 100% accurately? if so, good....if not, you can either deal with it or call applecare and they may have you ship it out.

those are your only 2 options.

9. philMBP thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, tell me, are the trackpads usually a bit soft? When I tap on it, it does "give" a little.

10. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

11. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

dude...listen.

you sound like you want someone to tell you what to do, so here it is....again.

if it's working 100% flawlessly, then fine, keep using it as normal.

if it's not working 100% effectively, or you have issues later where it won't function 100% effectively, CALL applecare and let them advise you.

there is nothing more that this message board can provide to you other than give you "what-if" scenario's over and over and over again.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually on the 17" if you press with force you can see the material indent, but it will come back to shape once you release. PCs are that way too, so I am guessing MOST LAPTOPS ARE THAT WAY. If you do it to your car it'll be the same too.

13. NJuul macrumors 6502

My first MBP had the same problem, with the trackpad being a bit "warped". Mine worked, and I lived with it for almost a year, but it was really annoying. I then mentioned it when I had the computer sent in for other issues, and they replaced the entire top casing.

My advice: Don't live with it, if you can be without your laptop for a few weeks, send it in. It will annoy you every time you use the trackpad.