MBP trouble with hard disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -mattias-, Apr 14, 2014.

1. -mattias- macrumors member

Hello,

So I for some reason hit my mac just right to the trackpad. It started making this weird noise, so I hit it soft again, which made the sound go away.

I was afraid it was the hard disk that made the sound. But the mac was running perfectly, I could even open apps and files. Then when I was gonna play a movie and it froze.

When I started it up again, it took forever to get to the log-in screen. But I was able to log-in. When I logged in everything was so slow. Every app constantly froze.

I can't start it normally anymore, it just stays at the white screen. In safe mode though I am able to login, but it is very slow and laggy. Have tried run Disk Utility, but it says the hard disk is fine.

Someone suggested I should change the hard drive cable which I did, but it didn't change anything at all.

So my question to you is, what is the problem? Is it the hard disk and is there any way I can verify this, as I would rather not have to buy and change the hard drive just to find out it isn't the problem. I have another MBP with a Time Machine backup at an extern, don't know if this can be used to solve/verify the problem?

Thanks in advance!

2. -mattias- thread starter macrumors member

Have bought a FireWire cable and booted the old one up in target mode. I then used Disk Utility on the new Mac to scan for errors on the old. Strangely, it said everything was fine...

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Consider this an opportunity to replace the HD with an SSD.

4. -mattias- thread starter macrumors member

But is there a way to check if it is the hard drive that is actually broken? That's what I'm trynna find out. :)

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope, there isn't.

If you hear clicking noises from it, then it's definitely going to go south soon.

6. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Well, the HDD is located exactly to the right of the trackpad so....

If you can get into disk utility, check the S.M.A.R.T status.

7. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Hard drives go bad over time the motors wear out, controller boards stop working. Just because the hard drive passes SMART testing doesn't mean there isn't a problem starting to happen. Hard drives are pretty inexpensive unless its SSD. Like someone else said here's your chance to upgrade your laptop.

8. -mattias- thread starter macrumors member

New HDD + HDD cable - HDD not recognized by MBP

Bought a new HDD + HDD just to be sure. Have installed mavericks on a USB, but when I boot up and open Disk Utility the new HDD isn't showing. Any idea why?