MBP turing off/crashing when lid is shut?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mantic, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mantic macrumors 6502a

It seems my MBP is crashing when I shut the lid and it goes to sleep. When I open it the system restarts. It also asks me each time I reboot if i would like to turn bluetooth on even though I have that pref. turned off in settings.

Any ideas?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would suggest repairing the Permissions. If that doesn't help, I would suggest trashing the Energy Saver preferences. If that doesn't work, do an Archive and Install of the OS. Beyond that, it may be an actual short in the system.

TEG

3. mantic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've repaired my permissions. I'll try messing around with certain settings and see what happens..

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

4. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have had similar problems lately though it just doesn't come back on at times when I re-open it.

I press buttons and do all sorts of things but it will only come back on when I hold down the power and turn it off then on again

Repaired permissions and all....

5. roxnadz macrumors regular

How are you shutting your lid? Are you doing it pretty fast, then moving it somewhere?

I bet your Sudden Motion Sensor got tripped.

6. dave788 macrumors newbie

I had a pretty similar problem..

After upgrading the RAM on my MPB from 2GB to 4, about half the times i'd open my lid, i'd either be greeted by the startup chime to find that my laptop rebooted itself or to find a black screen and unable to wake my laptop up.

Popped out the new RAM and put back the old RAM in it and haven't had a problem since, now that I think about it I should probably get a replacement for the bad memory :p

and as a side note.. .I ran the memory test in the apple hardware test program as well as a third party test and both said my memory was fine, so you can't always trust those programs.

dave.

7. PeaceOut macrumors member

i'm getting that sleep-->come back to black screen with the beach ball spinning and spinning and spinning. 4 times in 2 days.

my mbp is completely stock and up-to-date on the software updates.