MBP turned off after connecting iPhone USB cable to it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by usbp456, Mar 27, 2013.

1. usbp456 macrumors newbie

Good Morning,

Last night I wanted to back up my iPhone to iTunes so I go and turn on my MacBook Pro, after it turned on I plugged in the USB Cable into the far right USB port and my computer just turned off and it wouldn't turn back on.

I have had this problem starting this year where I would want to connect my iOS devices to my MBPand it just turns off but sometimes I would pull the USB out and turn my computer back on and it would work but not yesterday, it stayed "dead".

I did connect my MBP to the wall charger and you know that when you connect it there is a little light that has to turn either orange or green, right? Well mine is a really really really dim orange blinking light.

I called AppleCare and they walked me through some steps and nothing worked, he finally said to take it in to an Apple Store and have it checked out.

Just would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem and if so, what did Apple do?

Thanks

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Dunno if it applies to your computer. Unless they have their own power supply, USB device draw power from the computer. If your computer power supply is flakey the extra current may shut it down. Did the shut down happen only for recent iPhones, or for all USB devices?

The flashing orange seems to indicate a power supply or AC outlet problem.

3. usbp456 thread starter macrumors newbie

It has happened with my iPhone, iPad and iPod.

I don't think that its the power supply or AC outlet because even if the computer is not connected to the wall charger and I connect the USB it turns off.

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Sounds like some kind of short took out your motherboard when you connected the USB cord. A fault in the USB port's solder, perhaps? I can only speculate, extend my condolences, and hope for your sake you have AppleCare.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Are you using the same cable?. If so, try a different USB cable. A bad cable has been known to short the power and the mac may shut down to protect itself.

If the mac's internal power supply is weak or defective, it can shut down by attaching any USB device that draws power.

Does it act the same regardless of which Mac USB port you use.

If you boot into safe mode and plug in the USB device, what happens?

6. usbp456 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Asuriyan: Yes, I have AppleCare thankgod because otherwise it would of been $280.00

@ColdCase: I was using different cables. The USB that was causing the problems was the "right" one the one closest to the battery indicator lights.

I actually took it to the Apple Store and they had to ship it off to a Repair Facility. Hopefully Ill be getting it in by Saturday.

7. beckymom3 macrumors newbie

Me, Too!

This happened to me, too, when my son plugged a USB cable (not attached to anything, just getting ready for iPad sync) into a port on his MacBook Pro 13 and the computer died and never regained consciousness. I'm taking it in to the Apple store tomorrow (thank goodness for Apple Care). I confess, the USB cable was a cheapo I bought off eBay and it literally just fell apart in our hands (connector plastic snapped off then male attachment broke off from cable) when we disengaged it. All 5 of the cables and adapters I bought off that seller on eBay either broke or overheated and melted. You pay for what you get.

I hope you have good luck in your repairs. Wish me some, too!

Becky

8. CarlitosReyes macrumors newbie

I have that problem too!!!

HEY I have the same problem and I also think its because the cable was a cheap cable i happened to find in the apartment I recently moved in. How did it go with your repair? should I never connect my iphone again or is it ok to connect it now with an original cable?

Please help me I got it rebooted so its working now but I don't have apple care so I'm afraid of connecting any usb devices as rebooting it cost me 100 dls