MBP turning on while asleep and closed

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
US
I have a MPB 4,1 on mavericks. If I close the screen and put it to sleep it will sleep for a period of time then randomly "wakes up" (i hear my optical drive make that wake up nosie) Anyone know why this happens or know how to fix it. Its not a huge issue but its just annoying and seems to kinda mess with how it runs after a while.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
This is why I shut my laptop down when traveling. I haven't seen this occur with any MBPs but I had a Dell laptop nearly cook itself to death before. Plus with out the indicator light that the rMBPs no longer have, its impossible to see if its still asleep, i.e., no pulsating light.

from what I hear, 10.9.2 has introduced a number of sleep related issues, have you recently upgraded to that?

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
Are you sure that's not the machine going to "safe sleep"? When you go to wake it next, do you also hear the Superdrive cycle? That doesn't normally happen when returning from sleep, only safe sleep.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
US
Are you sure that's not the machine going to "safe sleep"? When you go to wake it next, do you also hear the Superdrive cycle? That doesn't normally happen when returning from sleep, only safe sleep.
Yes, the super drive cycles when I wake it.