MBP UK Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kezman, Jan 19, 2009.

1. kezman macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've just ordered a new MBP with the UK keyboard (the one with the freakishly small return key). Just wondering how easy it is to get used to the weird layout?
    Cheers,
    Kieran

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

When u say small how do you mean? Mine is the same size as my BlackBook that ive had for 2 years... didnt notice a difference.

But yea its fine. Dont notice any difficulty pressing it etc :)

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't notice it anymore, but I have had Apple laptops with basically the same layout since about 2001. Takes a while to get used to the switched positions of some characters ("@# for example) if you are going back and forth with a standard PC keyboard (like I have at work).

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

That will be why i haven't noticed it!

Yea was weird at first with the @ button but now it just makes perfect sense!

5. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

US Keyboard MBP from UK Apple Store?

I am interested in the 15-inch MacBook Pro, and I notice that in the UK Online Apple Store, I have the option of Backlit Keyboard (US) or Backlit Keyboard (UK).

I personally prefer the US keyboard for MacBook Pro.

I would like to know if this means that the "US keyboard option" would have a layout similar to the keyboard shown at the bottom of the photo, as opposed to the UK keyboard seen at the top of the photo.

[​IMG]

On the US keyboard, the left and right "Shift" key are about the same size while the "Enter / Return" key is rectangular, not an inverted "L" shape.

I wonder if I were to buy a new MacBook Pro with "US Backlit Keyboard option" from the UK Apple Store, would it have similar keyboard as shown in the following photo?

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help. :)

6. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I wish I could have waited and ordered mine from the online store.

I way prefer the US Keyboard.

It's not as if you can 'swap it out' with the new MBP's, either.

Oh well :rolleyes:

7. aresinferno macrumors regular

If you have one then mind sharing a picture? Or someone post a picture of the UK keyboard on the new MBP. I am thinking about getting one and don't remember that dodgy looking enter key in the apple store.

8. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

This is not exactly UK keyboard... but a very similar European one (except for the accented characters on the keys) note the inverted "L" key and "shift" keys on the right being much longer than the left.

Looking at that I really prefer the US keyboard... as the UK version will take quite a bit of adjustment on my part.
    [​IMG]

9. kolax macrumors G3

I prefer the return key like that. It is bigger vertically, and always hit it with my pinky finger. Not had a single issue with it.

And I lived off the U.S. keyboard back in my high school days years ago.

10. aresinferno macrumors regular

Great picture there. Shame it is not exactly right but i get the idea. Thanks. I wonder, i hardly ever use the right shift key, would it be possible to treat the shift key as an enter key too. I don't mind the shape of the shift key at all but the fact that it is really slim puts me off. I guess i will still get a new macbook pro :D

Oh, and are the . and : the same key as well as the , and ; on the UK keyboard? That looks really handy for someone who codes css as you often need the : and ; more. What about the < and > keys? I do like them being seperate though. I know of some programs that use them to rotate and having them as one key can be annoying.

11. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

Found a photo of UK MBP keyboard

sorry it's MacBook's keyboard, but that should be the same

[​IMG]

12. AtOl Blacky macrumors newbie

Whats the @ key doing on the G button??

That can't be the Uk Layout!

I have a Macbook air atm and my layout is the same as pictured in the post above, (with the @ on number 2 and then 2 keys to the left of P and 3 keys to the left of L

13. kolax macrumors G3

Did you even read what he said? It's a European layout :rolleyes:

14. AtOl Blacky macrumors newbie

:D haha My bad!

15. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Now I have a US keyboard, before of this I had an "English International" which is similar to the UK layout except for the missing printed euro symbol and with the '#' on the 3 (instead of the pound). BTW, where's the # symbol on UK keyboards?

The small 'enter' key was a problem only when I started using the keyboard, but I prefer the shape on the US version. The small left **** was more annoying, also the position of the `/~ key is more comfortable on US keyboards.

The UK layout (without considering the symbol) is similar to many other ones, like the Italian. So far I have only seen US keyboards with the horizontal enter.

-- thistle

16. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

# is on option 3 on uk keyboards, £ is on on option 3 on US keyboards.

17. lordthistle macrumors 6502

the **** was a SHIFT. I assume I typed it without the f.

18. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

^^ so I assume that English International keyboard has the inverted L enter key + short / long Shift key?

i have forwarded this question to online Apple Store (UK), now waiting for answer...