MBP Ultimate Accessories

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lego8, Mar 16, 2008.

1. lego8 macrumors regular

lego8

Hi all,

I'm getting a new 15.4" MBP soon and I'd like to accessorize it. What are the best cases, sleeves, apps, protectors, etc. for the machine?

Thanks for your help,
    lego8

2. dimonay macrumors member

Get an external hard drive for Time Machine. I have the Incase sleeve and bag for taking it around and I love those. If you use it at home you should get something along the lines of the iLap for easier viewing, a keyboard and mouse (I have a the aluminum wireless keyboard, wired Microsoft mouse).

I've been trying to accessorize as well :D.

3. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

I bought a Speck case yesterday. Do you know if the MBP will fit inside another case (like a Booq or Incase sleeve) with the Speck Hard Case on?

4. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I don't know about a Booq, as their sleeves are fairly form-fitting for the MBP, but the inCase sleeve is looser. I wouldn't be surprised if the MBP+Speck fit inside one of those.

5. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

WD External HD, Tuscano Sleeve, Mighty Mouse and more RAM

6. dimonay macrumors member

My MBP fits pretty snug into the Incase, but there is SOME room. It stretches a little so I think you'd be good putting the Speck-cased MBP into one.

Booq I'm not sure about.

7. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

A good thing to go with your MBP would be a USB hub...if you use a lot of usb devices.

8. eyespii macrumors 6502

9. tanjacob macrumors member

An large external Firewire HDD (helpful for storage and Time Machine), a good wireless mouse (banish the wires), a sleeve customised for MBP (typical PC 15.4" laptop sleeves are too big), extra RAM, a keysaver (for spill protection), palm rest guard and mouse pad/button protector (avoid discoloration from sweat).

USB hubs are not strictly necessary unless you really need it, but if you do, get a powered one just in case. There are Bluetooth mice and Firewire devices so you can try to maximise the use of the empty ports.

10. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

no hub can charge your ipod for instance.
    i have had 5 diffrent hubs which i returned all because they wouldn't do it and said they would, then some one told me they never work like that.

but external hdd very usefull

that is a waste of money.
    i got a 15 buck one from newegg.
    if it falls use velcro.
    or glue it to a brick.
    i use mine like such
    [​IMG]

11. basqarl macrumors regular

I have the Kensington Dome Hub and it works well....have had it for about 6 months or more...

12. eyespii macrumors 6502

Looking at your elaborate notebook stand, i'm not surprised you would choose to glue your hub to a brick rather than pay a few extra dollars for a weighted hub! :)

I agree the kensington hub is kind of pricey as hubs go, but you should be able to wrangle a better deal than the amazon price (i think paid around $20-$25 for mine).

13. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

14. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Or you can do what I did and screw your hub to your desk.

[​IMG]

I have since added a third hub to this. I am also working on a cable control system and a monitor bracket for a 17" display to hang above my MBP.

sorry, I can't remember what brand these hubs are but it is an aluminum case with plastic end caps. I believe I got them for $8 on sale at Fry's. They are also powered so no need to worry about 'slow' speeds.

15. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

WOW. Do you really need everything that is connected? Even more, what is connected? Pure style.

16. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Does anyone know of any portable (does not take external power) firewire 800 hard drives?

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

my speck cased macbook pro fits in my incase sleeve fine...but I am going to get the new incase hard voer when it comes back...

also i would recommend an iSkin Pro Skin

18. chinarider macrumors regular

There are many - I have the Lacie Rugged 250g and so far it works great.

19. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Wow, I had no idea that they made those. Too bad they don't make one big enough for me. I need ANOTHER 500GB drive.

20. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

21. GRN99EX macrumors member

Depends on where you live, and who you have your cell phone service with... I live in the US, and I have the one in your link. It works just fine.

Yes, there is a monthly subscription price. It is essentially like having another cellphone line. I pay for the unlimited access, so it costs me around $60/month. They do have less expensive plans as well. Some months I will use mine nearly every day, and others I don't use it at all. My company pays for the card, my cell phone, and my home phone service, which is why I just went for the unlimited plan.

22. lego8 thread starter macrumors regular

lego8

Are there any cards like that for AT&T?

23. JamesMcCain macrumors member

JamesMcCain

+1, however I know its a bit pricey, but if you can up for the time capsule, so you can get all-in-one device...

24. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Connected
    • Wacom Tablet
    • 500gb HD
    • Canon Pixma Printer for photos
    • HP PSC All-In-One for scanning and document printing
    • Targus cooling mat
    • APC UPS
    • NuLooq Navigator
    • a couple free for ipod/camera/etc.

25. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

I have a G-Tech G-Drive Mini Triple, is USB 2.0/FW400/FW800 and is bus powered. Works great and is very portable.

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVE-mini.cfm