MBP Uni-body price drop coming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CitiXen, Feb 24, 2009.

1. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

Apple's computer sales were released last week and their sales were down 6% for the first time since they began making computers. Analysts are expecting a price drop soon. What are your guys thoughts on a MBP uni-body price drop?

2. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

No. Apple has maintained the same prices or close to the same prices for years. They just make spec bumps to keep the price from dropping. FYI, Apple now makes the largest chunk of money from iPods and iTunes. Hence the name change from Apple Computer to Apple Inc.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

I doubt it'll happen.

If anything, Apple's dumping money into refocusing how the computers are being sold (at their retail stores), ... not by discounting the computers price.

4. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

Ok thanks guys for the replies, what sort of discounts (%) are common around June / July?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well none really. As duffyanneal noted above Apple normally maintains its prices, or increases demand to stimulate sales by upgrading the specs.

If you are college student, there normally is some type of iPod giveaway with student purchased computers that starts in June (I believe), but discounts are not a normal thing for Apple.

6. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

Ah, that's what it must have been. Yes, I am a Univeristy student and I recall seeing discounts, which I guess were free ipods and along with printer discounts. Looks like going with a refrubished MBP is the best option.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think so.

And yes, Apple has reduced prices on machines, but it's never by more than $200 or so on the MacBook Pros. They've reduced the price of MacBooks from $1099 to $999 before. Also, iPhone prices dropped. Anyway, yes it does happen, but to be honest, I don't think it would now. I wouldn't just expect it because a bunch of analysts said so.

8. Colin20 macrumors regular

MBP spec bumps?

Any speculation as to when these MBP spec bumps will happen? April? May? What sort of timelines have they worked with in the past?

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Try the Buyers Guide tab on the top of the page. Should have the dates of every bump.