MBP uni superdrive dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jakster4u, Sep 28, 2009.

1. jakster4u macrumors newbie

My superdrive stopped being able to read discs last a few days ago. I was trying to burn ubuntu onto a dvd and it didn't like any of the discs, one of them eventually worked even though it was the same type and brand. Then I also put it onto a cd-rw and it worked but it seemed to take forever. Now I can't get any disc to mount. I would put in a disc and it sometimes spinned all the way up and then stopped. It would try to do this over and over, and I wouldn't be able to eject, the only way I could get it it out was to restart the computer. I tried this in leopard and bootcamp, with XP basically freezing up. I tried cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-rw and none of them were able to mount, just spins up and down forever.

Should I do a hardware test, or would that just tell me what I already know? Would a DVD drive cleaner void the warranty at all? If I took it to an Apple store how long would it take to replace the superdrive? I was hoping I could take it back for Thanksgiving and get it replaced that weekend or else I would have to wait for Christmas break.

I'm guessing other people have had this problem.

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Take it to an Apple store. If they have the super drive in stock it should take only a couple of days.