MBP Unibody 15" i7 Running Hot...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigDrives, Jul 14, 2011.

1. BigDrives macrumors newbie

Hey guys! Newbie to the forum.

Anyways, my MBP has been running hot ever since I updated it last night. I checked the A/M and none of the processes were using any significant amount of CPU :confused:. My disk isn't being thrashed either. According to my fan monitor app, both of my fans are working fine... It's quite odd.

Any suggestions?

2. simsaladimbamba

Then what temperatures (C or F) are you experiencing (iStat Pro can help) at what CPU usage with what fan speeds?

3. BigDrives thread starter macrumors newbie

65+ celsius, fan speeds ranging from 2500 to 3500 on idle with no apps open.

Edit: CPU usage peaks at about 5%.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

That's borderline, not nearly high enough to worry about but if no programmes are open then I would want it be just a couple of degrees lower to have the fans at their standard RPM if possible.

How much CPU is being used? Check activity monitor, any processes using much CPU? Even just a few %? Post a pic if you can.

EDIT- seen your 5% now. You mentioned it was since you updated. What was updated and what were the temps etc before if you remember?

5. BigDrives thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe is was the networking app for my printer, a Mac OS X update, and a couple of other things which I can't remember.

6. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

7. BigDrives thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it... but the app isn't open atm. My battery life has also gone to crap because of this. With 23% battery life left it's estimating I'll get 35 minutes. :confused::confused::confused:

8. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem as you after the update, Sim just posted the fix, do what it says and you will be good to go.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. BigDrives thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried all those things guys, still no dice. I'll try restarting once more and see how that goes.

11. Smork macrumors member

I'm new to the mac side. Just purchased a 13" MBP i5 5 days ago. It's been great, other than the device heating up like crazy. It can get to 60-70+ just with a few tabs open in a web browser.

I have a i3 laptop, and it never gets this hot so easily. Even with 4 chrome windows with 4+ tabs each, it will never exceed 55 degrees.

I had parallels installed but removed it to see if it would remove any issues, but doesn't seem to have.

Would upgrading to the 15" fix any of these issues?

12. BigDrives thread starter macrumors newbie

Depends on what you're doing in your browser. Flash usually causes my laptop to heat up like that.

P.S. guys, I've tracked the source of the problem and rectified it. It turns out it was an ntfs mounting app that had expired and didn't work properly anymore.

13. Smork macrumors member

I have made sure to keep all browsers from running flash. I have even flashblock installed on Chrome. They were all basic websites such as this forum, reddit, the apple website etc.