MBP Unibody 2.53 HDD sounds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pdechavez, Dec 11, 2008.

1. pdechavez macrumors regular

Whenever I lift it up or accidentally bump my mac, I hear a click from the harddrive. This has never happened to my early 2008 MBP, is this a defect? Or is it normal that the sensor is stopping the discs? I was watching a video file and when it clicked, the movie stopped for a few seconds.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

It's the heads parking on the HDD it's to stop it getting damaged, it's normal

3. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

But how come with previous mac laptops i've used, it never used to happen?

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

5. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

The feature isnt new, but its kind of annoying to hear the click always coming everytime I lift my laptop. This never happened before with my previous portables.

Im just wondering if other Unibody macbook/macbook pro owners are having this experience too?

6. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yep i get it too.

I didnt get it with my BlackBook i had before thats why i thought i may be a new thing. Obviously its been around for ages but the way it does it must be new if the clicking hasnt been heard before?

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Why?, your HDD isn't dying ( you mention no question marks at boot up ) its the head parking you would be pretty pissed if it didn't so why should it bother you blimey it's a click not the world coming to a end,sorry if that sounds blunt

I'm on my spare MBP ( 06 ) and that does it so it aint nothing new, maybe yours is just a little louder than most

8. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, feels like a bad feature. I've never experienced this before with any portable, except an old Discman. COuld it be cause of the large capacity therefore being more vulnerable? I hope its something good coz now my movies get interrupted and all my data is here.

9. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

When it happens to be a i dont get any freezing etc? well not that i have noticed.

Maybe ring Apple to see what they say if your a little worried?

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

That's a fair point ^, but you shouldn't be lugging it about whilst watching movies anyways

11. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Its the same feature that lets you drop your mac from 40 inches without data loss, and the same feature that lets you play macsaber and make wicked cool lightsaber noises.

12. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Thats what saved my laptop when it rolled off my bed and snapped my Mini Display Port adapter!!! And the lightsaber thing! Now i can fight with my MBP or iPhone!

13. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

And your wii controller too with wiisaber.

Tough break on the rolling off the bed bit, but hey, there are worse things you could break than a $10 or under adapter.

14. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

£20 :) so around $40

But def would rather break that then my HDD.

15. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Well then it sounds rather alot like adapters are a bit more costly over there. :p

16. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not just adapters mate, EVERYTHING!!!!

17. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Oh on with it, its give and take. Yous get far more government services to pay for, all those health and safety cost quite a few quid ya kno.