MBP unibody 2009 TI or Lucent FireWire?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Artmuzz, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Hi,

I know that my old MacBook Pro Penryn (mid 2008) uses the TI (Texas Instruments) FireWire but on my brand new MacBook Pro unibody 2009 it uses the Lucent Firewire.

Is this the case for all the new unibody MacBook Pros that they now use the Lucent FireWire? I heard that if using FireWire that TI (Texas Instruments) is recommended for music and audio production.

Art

2. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I wondered this, but I think that statement is more for PCs that macs. Non of my friends have unstable firewire audio on their macbook systems.

3. Sn0wball macrumors regular

Hi, I think Lucent should be good. It was the only one that was recommended directly by Motu when I bought my Traveler (firewire).

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/tec...d-pcmcia-cards/view?searchterm=firewire texas

I believe Apple phased out Texas Instruments chipsets for the Lucent ones a couple or three years ago.

I can't comment authoritatively as to the performance with Lucent though as I don't yet have a MacbookPro for testing with my Traveler. I'm waiting for the new releases to buy my first ever MBP. I'm currently using a self-built desktop PC, it has the Texas Instruments chipset and I can get latencies down to the lowest 1.5ms for realtime sound processing (Guitar Rig 3 and Amplitube 2) without any dropouts or glitches. It's fantastic.