MBP Unibody and external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr D, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Mr D macrumors 6502

Is it possible to run a set up where I have the MBP unibody running through a 24" Samsung (or whatever brand display) with both screens displaying simultaneously? I am not sure the exact term for it, but it's basically where both the laptop screen and the external display are running and I can work with both screens as they are "one." If someone can provide me with this term it'd be helpful too.

I saw this set up at the Apple Store with the 24" Cinema display and it was great. I could use the MBP keyboard and trackpad or I could use the connected keyboard and mouse... very efficient.

I'm planning to get the MBP 17" with an external display and this would be crucial...

Thanks in advance! :apple:

2. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Yes, it is standard. You need to pay $29 for a mini display port to DVI cable though.

3. warlun macrumors member

4. Mr D thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've read on that. I'd rather have to do that and be able to get a monitor that I can use for many things....

What's the difference between the DVI and the Dual DVI?

5. Cantunis macrumors member

Dual DVI is for monitors that require an extreme amount of bandwith , like Apple's 30 inch Cinema Displays .

With a 24 inch you will be fine with normal DVI