MBP Unibody heat issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr D, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Mr D macrumors 6502

I've had my MBP unibody 17 for almost a year now... it's been heating up for the past couple months (or longer?). I really haven't thought to talk about it until now.

Basically, my fans start to kick it quite often after just regular web browsing. It happens quite often if I start streaming a video or watching youtube. I don't have many apps open either. My laptop is in a cool place on hard surface that doesn't absorb heat easy either. I almost want to by a fan to put under it.

I installed SMC fan control and "fan control" since the beginning. I currently have fan control only.

Is there anything specific I can check that causes the laptop to heat up or if I messed with any "internal" settings by accident to cause it to heat up?

I almost want to think I to think it's something I downloaded or something I screwed up. My brother has the exact same computer and it runs around or under 50 all the time while running more programs than I do at times.

I'm just browsing right now with adium and and chrome running and it's running at 62 degrees.

I almost want to reformat...

2. Mr D thread starter macrumors 6502

I uninstalled fan control and it still runs the fans at 3500+ RPM at over 55+ degrees.

When I installed fan control or smcfancontrol, did it do anything to some internal settings to always keep the fans running high?

3. Collider macrumors regular

Getting the obvious out of the way first... have you tried carefully blowing compressed air into the heatsink (via the long vent beneath the hinge of your laptop)? If there's a buildup of dust or whatever in there, that could lead to overheating, and cleaning it out with compressed air would make a world of difference.

4. Youngchild macrumors member

Youngchild

Do you have the graphics card set to the 9600m (high performance)? I found when I switched to the 9400m my overall temps dropped about ~10c. Though it does stink having to log out/in to switch the GPU, I noticed it made a considerable difference.

My uMBP runs around 60c degrees with the 9600m enabled, and around 45-50c with the 9400m enabled.

Hope this helps.

5. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

How do I set/switch between the two? How do I know which one is running?

6. Youngchild macrumors member

Youngchild

Click Preferences > Energy Saver (under Hardware) > Graphics: Better Battery Life (9400m)

Higher performance (9600m)

If you don't see these options, you only have 1 video card on your machine (ex. 13" MBP).

Attached Files:

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I have a same laptop as you do, but I always run it in the 9400m mode. I can hardly ever hear the fans. You may want to consider opening the bottom up and clean the fans and heat ducts area with compressed air.