MBP unibody is hurting my hand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by intellijel, Apr 17, 2009.

1. intellijel macrumors newbie

I have had my MBP 15" unibody for about a month now. Overall I am happy with it but I have developed a painful problem:

When I use the track pad I like to rest my hand so that I can click with my thumb and track with my index. However the overly sharp edges of the unibody are bruising the heel of my hand.

It is to the point now where I can barely use the trackpad because it has become so painful. I have had many other laptops (pc and mac) over the past 15 years and none of them have ever been a problem.

I also recently installed an incase hardshell and it is actually adding to the problem.

Solution #1 is to get an external mouse but I would really like to be able to use the track pad (I like the gesture and multi finger features).

Anyone else having problems?

Any creative solutions?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This is well documented on the board

If you use MRoogle and search you will find several creative solutions

Some have even sanded the edge down ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

This may or may not help relieve your particular situation . . . However, have you tried the "touch to click" method?

Have you tried placing your MBP in a lower position? Simply tossing out a couple of ideas. I trust you find a quick resolve for your issue.

4. omgwut macrumors 6502

Bevel the edge down with a file or a powered sander.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

toughen up your limp wrists by being a man and being happy with it
    ;)

just kidding

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

7. sm0 macrumors regular

^

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

9. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I've actually found that the edges really aren't that sharp, however that doesn't help the OP. But maybe using an external mouse could help?

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

I'd say sand those edges down, and next time you're buying a laptop consider the ergonomics.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

That will also help with your mighty mouse, which was seemingly designed for people to wear gloves while using it.;)

12. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

:p Actually, I've just thought of something. Gloves might be a bit silly but what about one of those wristbands that tennis players wear? I know nike and most sports brands make those.

13. latogoga macrumors member

try using a pair of gardening gloves haha just kidding, i'm sure you can find a way to use the trackpad without touching the edge aka Hattori Hanzo katana.

14. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

must have a little hand, mine get noware close to being in that position

16. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

if anything, your wrist shouldnt be resting on the side. dont wanna go deep into this but to make it plain and simple, you should type as you would play on a piano. if not, u may hurt ur wrist in the future (carpal tunnel )

17. intellijel thread starter macrumors newbie

it's not while typing. It is just when using the trackpad only.

Also for the poster above it is not my wrist, it is the heel and middle of my hand that are resting on the edge and getting bruised.

I am a mechanical engineer and constantly working with metal and building things. My hands are used to taking tons of abuse so this not an issue of needing to "toughen up"

As aforementioned, I have never had this problem with any other computer in my life. This is very important to consider...what is different about the MBP unibody in comparison to every other laptop made?

18. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the edges just feel very pronounced, they need to be beveled...

19. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

A couple of strips of Scotch tape over the edges is both removable and a simple fix. If a couple doesn't work, try a few strips.

20. Carl Abudephane, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  21. rknrolls macrumors newbie

good idea!

22. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

This isn't much of a solution, and for that I apologise. I find that for the first time in yeras I am forced to adopt a 'proper' typing stance with my wrists not resing on the 'rest' area. The edges are sharp, but what bothers me is how fricking cold the alluminum is. I find it unpleasant. I still use the trackpad, but do not rest my wrists on the machine.

Tom

23. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You know the way your using your trackpad is bad for your hand anyway even if the sides didnt hurt?

You shouldnt come into contact with the laptop body when your typing or using the trackpad, theres even a guide how to type correctly that comes with the computer in the manual, and it describes the various possible injuries.

24. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I too hate the sharp edges and was surprised that Apple didn't pick up on this before.

Wearing long-sleeved shirts fixes the problem but who wants to wear long-sleeved shirts all the time.

Wristbands would also work, but that would look rather silly.

I wonder if you could take some small, clear door edging and put it along the edge?