MBP unibody, screen protector needed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sound Evolution, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

Dear,

For my previous laptops (MBA's and alu powerbook G4) I always used a screen protector. This because the keys could leave marks on the acrylic (plastic?) screen when closed. I guess this was a result of the oil on the keys touch the surface of the screen, and during transport it wears and tears.

In case of my MBA, the trackbar also scratches the rim of the screen without screen protector.

Now the new unibody MB and MBP's have a glass front, and no trackbar, is a screen protector still needed? Anyone experiences scuffs of scratches from the keys or other parts to the screen?

For convenience, this is what I mean with a screen protector.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

Thanks in advance,

With kind regards,
    Bas

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i think it is a good idea. the screen seems to pick up the dust and such from the keyboard.

3. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I'm going to buy one soon. My unibody MBP has some square "grease marks" from the keyboard, but it can easily be washed off with a little water. It's only noticeable when the display is off, however I assume that over time, if it goes uncleaned, it could get harder to clean off.

4. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I just ordered one, I'll give some feedback on it when I get it.

5. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Dear All,

Thanks for the responses.

If you can wash it off easy it is not a problem, as long there is no permanent damage. I can imagine the "grease" marks will burn into the plastics of normal LCD screens. But I think not with glass.

A screen protector is kind of a burden on the road...

With best regards,
    Bas

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it's a "you never know" situation. in normal situations the particles picked up by your screen from the keyboard will most likely not do permanent damage to your screen. but one day it might happen. again you never know. so you gotta decide if it's important enough to you to deal with the inconvenience. it may one day save your screen from something real damaging.

7. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

How about the stock piece of styrofoam "paper" that it came with from the factory.. could use that

8. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

My MAC's are my baby's and it would break my heart if it happened. But just my logical sense tell me that it can't "bite" into glass. Normal LCD screens have a soft plastic alike surface and there it "bites" in one day. But I think glass is to hard and sturdy for it. Does anyone has permanent marks?

With best regards,
    Bas

9. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

That's what I plan on using as it's light, airy and sticks nicely to the keyboard.

I am not paying for the screen protector when I have a perfectly functional one that came with my umbp

10. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

the glass itself for me atleast...acts as a screen protector against the LCD itself.
    i usually carry a microfibre clothe from my iKlear screen cleaner.
    It helps when i need to clear off dust from the display and clean off the keys on the go....i also have that lay on the keyboard so when it closes it wont get the rub off of keyboard dirt or grease.

sort of what others have already stated.

11. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Bingo! . . . For many years, now . . . That is all my wife and I have ever used. When traveling, I simply put the sheet of packing foam in my timbuk2 bag where my laptop was originally stored.

12. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Dear All,

Sad to see the screen protector is still needed.. :( I hoped with new unibody it was not needed anymore. :(

With best regards,
    Bas

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Glass does not need protection from plastic keys. Unless you place a sheet of sandpaper in there, there isn't even a what if chance of plastic scratching glass.

14. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Well, two things. 1: the glass isn't actually glass. It's a plasticky glass that's probably easier to scratch. 2: You don't need to scratch the glass to leave a permanent mark on it. The grease on the keys will over time discolor the "glass".

15. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

****... are you sure? :( :D

16. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

So you use a screen protector? And what is "Plasticky" glass?

17. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

The glass is more like a clear plastic than it is glass. Actual glass would be too expensive and too heavy for apple to use. And no, I don't currently have a screen protector. I'm going to get one is a couple days.

18. kimnkk macrumors member

kimnkk

I would just use the piece that came with the MBP if i was so inclined.

19. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

ill try one of these out .. im so paranoid about my matte screen getting damaged .. ive been using the styrofoam piece .. but it sticks out the sides and stuff .. going try this one

20. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

I always used the radtech one for my mabook air.

http://www.radtech.us/

I don't want to be very stubborn... :D But I am convinced that the MBP unibody use real glass fronts, since I ever saw pictures of a broken one, and that looked exact like a broken car window.. Just like the trackpad which is also real glass.

With best regards,
    Bas

21. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I emailed iFixit to see if it really is glass of plastic. They said it was glass. So I'm wrong and you're right. :eek: I'm still going to buy a screen protector though just to be extra safe.

22. Sound Evolution thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks for informing us. But honesty I think the plastic keys will not damage the glass then. Look at the Iphone. It can stand all the wear and tear and my screen is still as new.

With best regards,
    Bas