MBP Update 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thescouselander, Jan 27, 2013.

  1. thescouselander macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2013
    #1
    I'm looking to replace my ageing 2008 unibody Macbook and I was considering geting the current model of the 13" MBP. The problem is the current MBP was released half way through last year so doesn't look like a good buy at the moment.

    All the rumours on here seem to suggest the MPB range wont be updated until at least June!!! Notwithstanding what might happen with moving the MBP range to and all retina line up later in the year is it likely the cMBP range might get one last update between now and then? Would apple really wait that long between updates considering the prices they charge?
     
  2. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #2
    Update will not happen until at least June - I think the cMBP will still exist (though there is no hard facts about this).
     
  3. thescouselander thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2013
    #3
    So a full 12 months between updates then? I'm not sure I can swallow that one and I could really do with a machine with more battery life. At this rate I'll be forced to get a windows machine:mad:
     
  4. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #4
    Battery life - windows laptop - those terms contradict.
     
  5. thescouselander thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2013
    #5
    Cant say I've noticed that - I've used windows laptops that seem similar in battery life to the latest MBPs. I'm really not interested in the old windows vs Apple debate though as I regularly use both. I just want to avoid paying top price for a machine that should really by due for an update.
     
  6. Spink10 macrumors 601

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #6
    Yeah it was a cheap shot - I recommend you just purchase whatever laptop you want.
     
  7. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    #7
    If you're looking to replace your 13" MBP with another 13" MBP, and do not want to go Retina, then I don't really see the reason why you shouldn't buy it now.

    Let's assume for a moment that the 13" MBP is in fact updated when Haswell comes out (let's say July-August). Compared to the current machines, you'll probably get marginal cpu gains, perhaps noticeable gpu gains (worthless unless you game or use applications that take advantage of the gpu, in which case, I question whether this machine is right for you...), and perhaps marginal battery gains. This is all under the assumption that Apple doesn't discontinue the machine or keep it around but doesn't update it.

    If you were looking for an Air or Retina, this discussion would be different, but for the classic models, I think it's pretty safe to buy this model right now without regret. In the absolute worst case scenario, you just have to replace it 6-10 months earlier than you would have planned for.
     
  8. thescouselander thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2013
    #8
    Well, that decision was just too hard so I flipped out and bought a 15" rMBP off the refurb shop.
     
  9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Location:
    Ohio
    #9
    They typically do it that way, there have been a few exceptions, but they try to do yearly refreshes. If you need it now, get it now. If you don't need it now and can wait until summer for a refresh, then wait. Only you can make the choice.
     

Share This Page