Mbp update for first time owner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Magnaton, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Magnaton, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

Magnaton macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi guys--
    As a long time champion of windows and their products, I've started to notice (albeit a little later than everyone else) that I'm not enjoying the same sort of longevity out of my Sony Vaios that all my friends do, with their respective Macs. With yesterday's MBP speed-bump, I thought it might be time to finally pull the trigger on my first Mac.

The only trouble is that with the rumors of a redesign and new ivy bridge chip coming out next year, I can't help but feel that I'm investing in old technology. I realize that I may have to expect responses like-- 'any Mac will be new technology compared to what you're using', but I was hoping to look beyond that and try understand the finer points of whether it's worth purchasing the speed bumped current MBP or wait for the redesign, in both economical and system performance terms.

If I do get this current model, I will be removing the optical drive and using owc's raid adapter to put in an ssd to boot from and run most of my system tasks, so perhaps that will make some of the potential MBP updates obsolete.. But I'm still not sure which is the best way to go.

I really look forward to an appreciate any advice you may have.
    Cheers.

2. simsaladimbamba

As the worth of the update is subjective and depending on your computational needs, it would be good to know yours in order to help you. Or are you just interested in a general debate?

3. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

just saying

even if you buy one next year, the newer tech that's coming out in 2013 is gonna make Ivy Bridge old technology.

There's no sense chasing "the bestest" or "the newest", cuz it simply does not end.

My advice is simple: Buy what you need, when you need it. Don't worry about anything else.

4. Magnaton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks MVRL, I think that's really good advice. My concern is that, while that may generally apply, is it as relevant when not all updates are created equal? It's true that ivy bridge will undoubtably be replaced with a better chip not long after its launch, but full-scale redesigns are slightly less common.

Sim-- thank you for your response as well. More about my computer needs: grad student in the biosciences, enjoy dabbling with music software (logic) and photoshop now and then. Really not a hardcore cs kid who's programming data mining software or anything, but I've always enjoyed the best and fastest that technology has to offer. I come from a line of vaio z and sz laptops, if that translates. So I guess I don't need the fastest laptop, but I personally derive great pleasure from having one-- and these things are also really expensive, so I'm trying to futureproof my purchase as much as possible too.

5. some idiot macrumors member

I'm also going to be buying my first MBP at some point in the not too distant future, and I've been following the latest refresh as well as looking at the upcoming Ivy Bridge (supposed) redesign. What I've come to decide is that the current MBPs are awesome and would last years without any issues, but if I'm going to make the jump into the Mac world and buy the most expensive laptop I've ever owned, I'm going to go into it in style and buy the latest redesign with Ivy Bridge, just so I can not only have something that's new for me, but that's new for the world.

That's my take, but understand that I'm someone who always regrets buying "old" to save a few bucks and is jealous or disappointed that I don't have the hot new design.

6. Keukasmallie macrumors regular

Keukasmallie

Gutsy move on my part

because my first ever Mac book Pro isn't even scheduled to be delivered 'til tomorrow!

Nevertheless, having opinions on a whole continuum of issues, I say buy the thing now, use it in good health, make future decisions in the future, etc....

7. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Perferct answer!! With computer Tech or any tech items, you will never be ahead as when the newest is out they are already working on newer and better--you willnever catch up and if you keep waiting for the best you will end up with Nothing. These new mac Pros are so powerful now you wont need a new one for many years to come.

8. HighEndMac macrumors regular

MBP 2012 or Late 2011

I always see the same answer to this question;
    “If you need a MBP now, get it. If you can wait, wait”

Seems simple enough right, but it’s really just not that easy. I also purchased the last model before the unibody, and I have never had 1 issue, not 1! (It was maxed out of course, highest model you could buy) I was pissed when I saw the redesign, I also am in product design, software but still. I am ready to get a new MBP and the one I spec’ed out is just shy of $4Gs. When I spend this kind of money on a computer, I want it to last and I want it to be top of the line for at least 7 -8 months. (I know that’s a stretch in the tech world but if anyone can do its it’s Apple)

The issue is we all know the Ivy processor is coming out, Intel has released that information. The real question is will it really only benefit the MBP 13inch due to the Ivy processor being smaller and more fitting for a smaller frame computer. (If so you might as well buy now, for you 15 and 17 inchers)

The second question is are the current MBP really having noise and heat issues that the Ivy will solve? (If so I think it is worth the wait)

The third question would be are they really going to do a shell refresh? If that sucker comes in a matte black, everyone knows that would look bad-a** and you would defiantly have buyer remorse if you pulled the trigger right now. Not to mention an upgraded screen, USB 3.0, and all the other super-secret stuff/ rumors Apple has up their sleeves.

I think we can all agree on 2 things;

1.) NO ONE KNOWS BUT APPLE.
    2.) We would all prefer technology that Mr. Jobs personally had a strong hand in. (Which I am sure is about 5 generation into the future)

If anyone else can shed light on this topic with constructive answers and/or reasonable theories please chime in! I still need to make my decision.

9. AVonGauss macrumors regular

Why not buy a more mainstream configuration now, for less than half that cost, and you'll have the remaining funds left over to buy the Ivy bridge revision when it comes out - not including any profit from resale of the current revision.

10. Magnaton thread starter macrumors newbie

That's not a bad suggestion, but part of me feels that buying a mid configuration laptop now to save money for when I sell it in 6 months to purchase ivy bridge.. Well is it really worth the hassle? Surely this course of action is telling me I should spend the money once to get the right thing and do it properly the first time round (a la ivy bridge)?

11. tears2040 macrumors 6502

How about you get the heck out of here...... Go buy your Sony laptop

peace

12. Magnaton thread starter macrumors newbie

If you spent less time being unhelpful, and more time carefully reading what people post, you'd notice that I was talking about MBP's. I hate how people think they can be rude just because they're protected by the anonymity of a forum.

13. AVonGauss macrumors regular

Eh, I'd say it depends on your personality - but personally, I used to buy "top of the line" models but have now gotten more in to the habit of buying more mid-to-low range and trading frequently. But I also maintain a, cough, more traditional desktop that I can off-load tasks to or fire up a game.