MBP Update in 3. quarter 2007?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crystalgpc, Jun 9, 2007.

  1. crystalgpc macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    #1
    Hey folks...


    I have heard that there will be an update of the MBP series with the new Intel Core 2 Extreme processor and 3GB DDR3 memory in the third quarter of this year due to release of Intels new chipsets.
    It would not be abnormal for Apple to update the MBP series after a short period again.

    There would be several reasons:

    1. christmas trade
    2. business competition
    3. and something else I forgot right now :p


    I was thinking for a long time to buy a new MBP, but I wasn´t sure when the right time will be...
    M brother bought his MBP when Apple decided to use Intel chipsets (Core Duo). Just a couple of time later they updated the MBP with Intels Core 2 Duo and from that moment on it made me onconfident about the Update habits of Apple.

    Now, after the Updates from June 5th, I was thinking about buying a 15" or 17" MBP, but now I am not sure after I heard about the update in a couple of months. Maybe it would be better to wait a few month for the new update with the core 2 extreme chipsets, because I need to have a high performance system.
    I was also thinking to buy a mac pro, but there will also be a new Intel Quad Core series...

    What do you think about that?
     
  2. mags631 Guest

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2007
  3. myke323 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 17, 2006
    #3
    There will always be updates on the horizon... why hold off for months when you aren't even sure what/when they will be...
     
  4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #4
    Where did you find these rumors? I'm sure I crushed them last time.
     
  5. 2nd2none macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    #5
    Yeah, that's probably how you're never gonna upgrade. There'll always be a future upgrade ahead. I bought the C2D MBP a few months ago an certainly do not regret it. Murphy's law will always apply.

    Ciao
     
  6. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

    #6
    I think the Leopard releases may have a few significant surprises, I'm waiting till then! My wish list includes eSata connection, quad core....:rolleyes:
     
  7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

    teleromeo

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    kidnapped by aliens
    #7
    There was an serious update last tuesday so if you want one buy now or wait for at least another 6 months. As a matter of fact I am considering to sell my 2 year old powerbook to my father so that I can buy one of these new machines. Replacement after 2 years is very quick for my standards.
     
  8. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #8
    That's always THE problem-another update in another ???

    ALWAYS the reason to wait. I've put a purchase off for a year.

    Once Leopard's out I'm done waiting....
     
  9. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

    SirCrumpet

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    Location:
    Brisbane, Australia
    #9
    Well in the end its your call, but if you are always looking at whats coming ahead you will never buy it and never be happy :)

    Personally, I'd buy it now - knowing apple there will always be an update 6 months away, but nows one of the best times to buy, seeing as they've just been updated.
     
  10. Applenewb macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    #10
    DDR3 at release is going to be incredibly expensive, right now a DDR3 2GB kit is 500.00, a 4GB (2x2) kit is probably going to retail around 1200.00 at release (which is ridiculous), add in Apple's huge markup and, well, there's just no way they are going to release that as an update, at least not until FB speeds catch up.
     
  11. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    #11
    Personally, I think you should wait 5 years..cmon now, they were just updated, and are awesome now. Everything that held me back from purchasing a MBP has been fixed. The earliest there will be an upgrade would be January. I doubt it will be significant compared to this one.
     
  12. Fayler macrumors regular

    Fayler

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    #12
    Holy crankshaft, that is the dead end truth. Welcome to the world of computers, as soon as something new and shiny comes along, and you buy it, a new shiny thing will come along.

    I'm quite happy (or rather will be happy) with my MBP, I believe, for quite some time. It has all the features of what I've always had in my desktop (Good CPU, above average amount of ram, plenty of hard drive space, and a mid-entry vid card).
     
  13. xpovos macrumors 6502a

    xpovos

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Location:
    Tennessee
    #13
    If you buy now, they'll update it in a few months. If you buy in a few months, they'll update it a few months after that. And so on.

    If you have more money than sense, like me, you'll keep buying and selling and buying and selling.... With this latest 17" high-res, I've managed to get my hands on (as far as I can tell so far) a completely defect-free MacBook Pro, which is something I haven't had any real luck with since the MBP was first released to replace the PowerBook. As far as laptops are concerned, I'm now committed to standing still for a good long while.

    You said you need a high-performance system. I submit that the current MBP is exactly that, but that 6 months from now there will be an even better high-performance system. This will always be true.

    I guess that means I now have to point my wallet in the direction of a new iMac or the next revision of the Mac Pro (and throw in two 30" displays for good measure). At which point my wife will probably point a semi-automatic weapon in the direction of my balls.
     
  14. crystalgpc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    #14
    I do not believe that the update of an core 2 extreme and ddr3 won´t happen the next months. They updated from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo also just a while later.

    And there are some new notebooks introduced with an intel core 2 extreme after the c2e will come out and Apple does not want to be the last one who will update their systems.

    Maybe they will use the update also for a change of the design. Probably a thinner and more robust housing.
    The update must be grave for the customers to buy the updated product.

    1. New C2E for a longer battery capacity
    2. Thinner housing and/or design, because the MB has changed also a bit
    (3. DDR3 memory if the price will stablish in the next time)

    And that would all happen before christmas for a good christmas trade and the IPhone will be also sold in the third quarter of 2007 in Europe and this is the second biggest market for Apple after the USA.

    And, as I said before, for me it is important to have the highest performance. I was also thinking about purchasing a Mac Pro, but it is still no portable system :)
    Further the change from a C2D onto a C2E is superior. Less energy-loss and more performance.


    Sure I would buy the MBP tomorrow, but I would be crazy if there will be a much better one just a while later...That drives me crazy:(
     
  15. maxp1 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    #15
    Ain't gonna happen. It'll be at least 6 months before the next update. Probably when Penryn is released H1 of 2008. The SR chipset isn't going to change in the near future and the extreme processors have been out for a while without being widely used in laptops. Give it up.
     
  16. Aniej macrumors 68000

    Aniej

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2006
    #16
    This honestly has to be one of the more ridiculous threads I have seen on here. Essentially OP is saying he hears there is an update in the future, but has no clue on when or what. It is amazing how we can have threads on here dedicated to absolutely nothing.
     
  17. tkdkid320 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    #17
    Are you kidding?

    You are really holding off upgrading just because there will be another upgrade down the road??? I am about to buy now. If there is a better update later, just sell your old computer and reinvest in a better one. Most of the time, upgrades aren't worth waiting for.:)
     
  18. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

    #18
    Can we assume intoxicants are involved?
     
  19. Aniej macrumors 68000

    Aniej

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2006
    #19
    yes, that's a safe assumption, assume away. I would now like to officially add this to my earlier response to this thread....
     

    Attached Files:

  20. crystalgpc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    #20
    But it does not mean that this will not happen, just because you do not believe it will.... jk :D

    I heard about that and some guys who told me that were everytime right with their Apple rumors in the past so that is why I am not sure.

    And in the past Apple made their updates when all were thinking it would not happen. :rolleyes:
     
  21. pruhster macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    #21
    Don't expect to see Quad Core DDR3 Macbook Pros this year. In any case if you want to wait you better skip those (if apple ever releases them) and jump directly on the 45nm chips which will be available for laptop in the beginning of next year.
     
  22. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

    macjonny1

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    #22
    This is a major update this time, which is a little different than the last couple since the MBP was introduced last Jan of '06. The processor was upgraded to a much better one with ability to address up to 4gb ram. The GPU had a major upgrade. Hi res option on the 17", higher capacity 7200 rpm drive option, and so on.

    I doubt there will be a significant upgrade with the introduction of leopard but that's my opinion. Now is the perfect time to buy, which is what I did!

    I think that people waiting for leopard will be disappointed with the minimal hardware upgrade and will probably say "there's Penryn right around the corner, I'm waiting for Macworld in Jan!"
     
  23. crystalgpc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    #23
    And how much would be the impairment if I would buy the new upgraded now and sell it after the next update that will probably be in about 6 months at the Macworld? Round about...
     
  24. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

    macjonny1

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2006
    #24

    sounds like an expensive way to do it....what is it you are wanting the upgraded computer to do? There is little software that even takes advantage of state of the art processors with dual cores as it is! That's like buying a new car knowing that you are going to sell it when the next years model comes out. You get to eat all of the depreciation. I'm guessing at least $750 plus whatever tax you might pay.....
     
  25. crystalgpc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    #25
    I need the MBP now and not in 6 months, but I need the upgraded in 6 months, too. Thats a really bad situation for me.:mad:
     

Share This Page