MBP update? NOT SUBCOMPACT

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cmm, Jan 1, 2008.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

We here there's going to be a subportable, but I am interested in a 15" model. I was hoping for a high res version like the 17" has.

I think I read that it's possible that they will come with the new Intel chip, is this true? Are there any other updates for the regular sized MBPs coming out? The trackpad seems like a lock, but if I were Apple, I'd be adding more than just a new trackpad.

2. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Apple will probably add Penryn Processors, video bump, HDD bump, and thats about it for my expectations.

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

What will the Penryn procs do in terms of performance?

4. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

We will see 2.6ghz in the high-end model and possible 2.8 BTO. I think it is 10% performance increase over Merom but I think I saw somewhere that it is supposed to be a 20% speed increase.

5. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The Mac PRO should have first dibs on any Penryn technology since it's been 512 days since it was last updated, that the workstation Penryns have been on the market for almost a month, and that the mobile Penryns aren't supposed to be released by Intel for at least another week.

6. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

The Mac Pro should be first. IMHO, I think we should see the MBP and MP get a design overhaul and spec overhaul.

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Isn't a big part of Penryn the increased size of the L2 Cache? I've read we can expect Mobile Dual Core for the MBP's with 6MB L2 Cache soon, and Quad Core with 12MB L2 Cache later in '08. I hope they run cooler than my MacBook ;)

8. timestamp macrumors 6502

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I'll bet we will. Any new features outside of flash drives introduced in the new Subnotebook will surely be features on a fresh MBP line.

10. Matiek macrumors member

I would be so happy if the new MBPs could handle 6 gigs of ram or if they got 512 meg video cards.

The Macbook pros get updated more than the Macpros because more people buy the Macbook pros and the laptop market is more competitive. I know it's not fair for the Macpro users but it's a simple truth.

On the other hand the Macpros are more future proof and are hard to beat performance wise for the same price, for the base. I'm looking at buying a Macpro and am waiting for an upgrade; I just think it's funny that so many people on here are getting belligerent at the idea of the Macbook Pro getting updated before the Macpro.

11. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I doubt you're right.

12. timestamp macrumors 6502

Oh well?