MBP update timeframe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hal1980, Apr 16, 2009.

  1. Hal1980 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    #1
    So here's where I'm at.

    I am absolutely limping along on an Alum PB G4. Great computer but the hard drive is full (after moving as much as I can off and to external). It's getting bad.

    Planning on the 15" MBP 2.4 (don't need the extra graphics, and processing but want the screen size and quality, etc). Will upgrade RAM immediately, but wait for Samsung 256 SSD to come down in price and upgrade that later.

    My situation:
    - Finishing up HE in UK. Get huge discount with great exchange rate if I buy before I finish in a few months.
    - Need a new laptop asap.
    - Hate glassy screens, I would really like to get the matte screen, but not willing to buy 17" to do so.
    - Really like the new integrated battery in 17" and would love to have that in the 15".

    So here's my question. What are everyone's thoughts on first if, and second when Apple will put the new battery in the 15" and offer the matte option on it? I would desperately like to wait for these improvements (don't care as much about SL - I'll upgrade when it comes out), but I can't wait long.

    Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
     
  2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    apple just bumped up the processor speeds so i can't see the next update coming before october. That's your best bet. One thing's for sure here in N.America is that they don't release new macs during the back to school get a free ipod promotion. They always release it once the promotion is over.

    Even then, no one can say for sure if Apple will integrate the new battery and matte screen on the 15" My opinion is we're more likely to see the inclusion of the battery than the matte screen. However, then there is the possibility that the battery will be sealed.

    From what you've said, I suggest just going with the 17" if you can't wait. It has everything you want :)

    edit: what about a refurbished previous gen 2.4? It has the amazing matte screen..no battery though
     
  3. glap1922 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    #3
    I agree with the other poster, you may want to look into getting a refurb or used previous gen MBP. If you really like the matte and don't care about the newer updates it could save some money and be fine for your needs.
     
  4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #4
    Update is plausible within the next few months as Intel will boost their Penryn speeds soon.

    It's likely IMO that Apple will skip Clarksfield (H2 2009) and wait for Arrandale (Q1 2010).
     
  5. Hal1980 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    #5
    Thanks for your comments. I agree that the 17" makes sense given what i said abovel, but I'm just not willing to go up to the 17 to get these features. Also, i'm not really considering the preunibody.

    I'm just trying to decide between these two questions:

    1. In your opinion is apple likely to update the 15" mbp with the new battery and matte option within the next few months (when do you expect if ever that apple will do this)? Or,

    2. Do you think these updates are so far off that I should just buy now, given a somewhat prompt need to replace my current laptop, even if it means not being happy with my mbp?

    Look forward to hearing everyones thoughts and particularly your predictions on the timeline for these updates. Thanks!
     
  6. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #6
    I don't think matte will come to the 15", but the battery is quite possible.

    The battery I see as coming in the next revision (unless it's a CPU bump and nothing else) or the revision after that at the latest. That is, unless they decide to limit the battery to the 17" for some reason.
     
  7. The SpinDoctor macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2008
    #7
    +1

    I personally am very tempted on choosing the 17" over the 15" because of the battery and screen.

    Considering that if I got the 15" I would have upgraded RAM and HDD anyway.
     
  8. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2008
    #8
    You'll be waiting until at least september October and that doesn't necessarily mean matte screen and battery. I personally won't buy a UMBP unless the 15 gets a matte option. I don't care about the battery since the life doesn't exactly hold well. 17 is too big.

    That said you should get a refurb. and have matte option and a great computer at a better price. Why wouldn't you go that route if you don't like the screen or the lack of "cool" battery. The battery is still a bad idea in my book.
     
  9. Hal1980 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    #9
    I prefer the UMBP for a couple key reasons, 1) The faster dd3 RAM, 2) The easily upgradeable HD (I plan to put the Samsung 256 MLC SSD in about six months).

    Also with the HE discount, the refurb doesn't make as much sense.

    I think you are right to have concerns with the battery, but the reviews I have read about the 17 inch seem impressive.
    I could probably stretch out my wait to aug/sep at the latest but it would be painful.
     

Share This Page