MBP - Upgrade or just install an SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by E2704, Sep 11, 2013.

1. E2704 macrumors newbie

Title says it all really. I am currently using the following set-up:

MBP mid-2010 13"
    2.4GHz core 2 duo
    8GB Ram
    250GB HDD

I am now contemplating either upgrading to a newer model MBP or installing an SSD as I have heard they are up to 15x faster than a standard HDD. At the moment due to cash restrictions (being a student) I am opting for the SSD option for a breath of fresh air into my MBP.

Samsung 840 500GB SSD is the model i'm looking at installing. Just want a few extra opinions on this though, whether it is worth paying much more for a whole new machine or just installing an SSD (which would arguably make my MBP faster than a new machine)?

Thanks,

E :apple:

2. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

If you want to make your 2010 computer feel like a 2013 model, an SSD is the cheapest and easiest way to get you there.

Granted, you'll still be limited by your older CPU and GPU in terms of processing power, but navigating Finder, opening/closing apps, booting up, etc., will feel A LOT faster. And I know that seems like superficial stuff, but in use the difference is pretty drastic.

I put a 512GB Crucial M4 in my 2010 MBP17 last year (cost me $350 all told) and that upgrade alone felt like it added 2-3 years of usability to my computer. Worth every penny.

Basically, I'd only advise against this strategy if your MBP feels like it's struggling to do the CPU/GPU-related tasks you need it to do, as these are things an SSD can't really help.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Few people load up the CPU on their Macs. Disk speed and memory size are usually the limiting hardware. Unless you run virtual machines, 8 gb should be adequate. The SSD makes a huge difference. My boot times were over a minute and now they are 10 to 15 seconds. It takes me longer to sign in than to boot. You will find the SSD the best bang for your buck.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Hey Glenn how's Roanoke? I missed my hometown!! Anyway for OP, SSDs are GREAT and it will quick boot up. If you want to find cheap one try search from eBay and Amazon. I bought a Intel 320 series 160GB for 100 buck from eBay or my 2007 MBP last year. :apple:

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Depends. Is it simply a speed issue, or are you experiencing other issues?

Personally I'm probably going to upgrade and retire my 2009 as my main machine. I recently installed 8gb of RAM, but I've spent the last two years burning through HDDs and hd cables (I suspect a logic board problem, but Apple doesn't agree). The battery is also at between 75 and 80% health depending on the day. Not to mention a sleep issue that no one seems to be able to find a solution to. I just don't think an SSD or an OS upgrade will solve any of that.

If you're not experiencing many other issues, then 1) you're very lucky and 2) an SSD may be worth it. If you have other issues then consider upgrading.

Waiting for my 2013 rMBP haswell i5 8gb RAM 256gb SSD

6. paul-n macrumors regular

Usually SSD is the best upgrade you can get.
    You mentioned Samsung SSD, I would go for the Samsung 840 Evo, which is a great drive for a fair price.
    SSD helps to get rid of the HDD bottleneck, which is the most negative impact on felt system performance.

7. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Add an SSD and more RAM if you need it.

Your Mac will feel like a new computer.

8. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Yes just go for an SSD. But to help us figure out more about if you should upgrade to a new machine, what will you be doing with your MBP?

9. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Roanoke is pretty much the same, not a lot changes. After 30+ years here, I'm retired and planning to relocate somewhere with a cooler summertime climate.

With over 280gb of my 840 Pro used, I can't deal with the smaller drives. If I ever replace my MBP I'm going to want 750gb or more.

10. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Upgrade to SSD > Upgrade to new machine without SSD. I will never go back to using a machine without at least an SSD system drive, desktop or laptop.

In daily tasks the SSD will make a huge difference. The exception is if your daily tasks include serious computational work (rendering, etc) that just takes too long.

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

SSD or new machine... how does one vacillate between extremes like this? :eek:

Nobody knows your financial status. Kindly submit for examination your 1040 from 2012.

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Last time I visited Roanoke in 2010 to visit my mother she lives near Cave Spring area. Nice neighborhood.

Anyway I don't see why I need a bigger internal HD when I can afford cheaper external HD to store everything. :apple:

13. bigshaq12 macrumors newbie

Why not...

Personally, if you have no issues with your machine, just upgrade to an ssd. It will make life so much easier. You can even put 16gb of ram in your model. Check OWC. I have the same thing with two 128gb SSD's using a data doubler in Raid and 16gb of ram.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Why? Is he running for President?

If fundage is an issue, couldn't he try the newest 750gb Momentus XT?