Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
From the 2008 model to that would be a substantial upgrade, not to mention you would get great savings and a possible gift card makes the upgrade all the more enticing.

In my honest opinion you would bet having a lot to gain as well as save.

Just to give you a better break down.

• Better graphics with HD 4000 vs Geforce 9400m
  • a much more efficient processor with a core i5 vs a core 2 duo. You will get 4 logical core vs 2.
  • 200$ savings with the back to school promotion
  • and just a great product overall

So just go for the base model and enjoy your purchase :)

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
2008, too old, cut losses, sell it and get a new mac with discount.

5 years is plenty of good service years for a computer.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
2008, too old, cut losses, sell it and get a new mac with discount.

5 years is plenty of good service years for a computer.

In your opinion. I know plently of people who have used their computer for 6-8 years.

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
In your opinion. I know plently of people who have used their computer for 6-8 years.

Read carefully, I'm not saying you can't use it for longer, I'm saying its a better choice to upgrade now while the old machine is still worth something. Why not buy into a better experience now instead of using a slow computer for another 2-3 years just to save $100. Literally, that might be all you save by holding onto it, by the time you factor in upgrade costs and depreciation.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
What are you using it for?

Except for an SSD, you've already maxed out your 2008 unibody. There's no doubt that on paper, there's significant improvements with the newer machine.

BUT, what are you using it for? Browsing the web? Writing term papers? Occasional you tube? You may just want to consider using your current system until it no longer does what you need it to do. You're a student, macs are expensive, and there will always be a newer, faster cooler computer next year at the same price.

If you're having to do something more extensive and taxing on it, such as audio or video editing, CAD work, etc., you will notice an immediate performance jump with a new system.

But even if you plan on continuing to use your 08 longer, I wouldn't put any more funds into it unless it was absolutely necessary due to the law of diminishing returns. If you'd have to replace the battery and install an SSD to start using it, you're already 1/3 or more of the cost of getting a base level macbook air with your student discount.

Speaking of the macbook air, there may be another reason to wait a bit longer to get the most bang for your bucks: in 2008, the original Air was introduced and it became the first ultrabook and a status symbol for CEO's. Incredibly cool features and design, but expensive, impractical and underpowered. in 2010, the Air became the entry level notebook with drastically improved features for a far lesser price. I think the Macbook retinas are the same thing for 2012, and retina displays will be incorporated into apple's entire product line in a year or two. If that's the case, your financial prudence in continuing to wait may pay off handsomely.

Good luck with your decision.

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
I'd still say upgrade now regardless, there is a sweet spot for resale value on old Macs, you won't be in a better position/deal in a year. Not to mention if the retina macbook air comes out it will cost even more.

There is no advantage to keeping that machine for longer, both in terms of money and user experience/enjoyment

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008

Wow. I had my first computer for 7 years. I'd still say 5 years is a good service life. Chill out. It's not an opinion. It's fact. Look up lifespan data.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Wow. I had my first computer for 7 years. I'd still say 5 years is a good service life. Chill out. It's not an opinion. It's fact. Look up lifespan data.

I know for a fact that the lifespan of modern Macs is longer than 5 years because I still use a 2009 iMac and have no plan of getting a new one very soon. My friends have white MacBooks (some of them). So no, it is not a fact that after 5 years a computer should be retired, it is an opinion.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I know for a fact that the lifespan of modern Macs is longer than 5 years because I still use a 2009 iMac and have no plan of getting a new one very soon. My friends have white MacBooks (some of them). So no, it is not a fact that after 5 years a computer should be retired, it is an opinion.

Yup and nobody said that. It depends on what people use their computer for. Goodness.

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South

That's fine, I respect that its still trucking on. My point is that you are actually going to spend more overall on Macs over the years by keeping them too long and selling at the wrong time.

Or maybe you wont be spending more, but you'll be spending about the same but losing out on a fresher snappier performance upgrades more frequently.

Just think about the ~£150 of value your iMac will lose over the next year, whereas a new Mac costs about the same every year.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
That's fine, I respect that its still trucking on. My point is that you are actually going to spend more overall on Macs over the years by keeping them too long and selling at the wrong time.

Or maybe you wont be spending more, but you'll be spending about the same but losing out on a fresher snappier performance upgrades more frequently.

Just think about the ~£150 of value your iMac will lose over the next year, whereas a new Mac costs about the same every year.
Well, I don't like to resell my Macs, so I'll be spending more by upgrading every 5 years than every 7, say. But I see your point. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.