MBP Upgrade to 4GB and Parallels

GoxKok

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Im running a MBP 2.4 Ghz and I recently ordered 4GB of RAM off of OWC (after many recomendations from MR!). Im running boot camp with XP right now for great game performance, but I have one question about parallels:

Will 4GB let games run just as well in Parallels as they do now in Bootcamp with 2GB? Or will the VM still slow things down?

Thanks in advance! Im excited for my new RAM :D

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Im running a MBP 2.4 Ghz and I recently ordered 4GB of RAM off of OWC (after many recomendations from MR!). Im running boot camp with XP right now for great game performance, but I have one question about parallels:

Will 4GB let games run just as well in Parallels as they do now in Bootcamp with 2GB? Or will the VM still slow things down?

Thanks in advance! Im excited for my new RAM :D

No. Parallels has very limited DirectX support. You would be better staying with your boot camp install for games if you want full DirectX 9.

vm7118

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
NJ, USA
vmware fusion supposedly has full dx9 support, although i have no idea how that translates into real world apps.

i'm still waiting on my $10 up-to-date of leopard before i install fusion or parallels. once that happens (probably by the weekend :p), i will also be running boot camp/fusion on a 4gb ram MBP w/leopard.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
vmware fusion supposedly has full dx9 support, although i have no idea how that translates into real world apps.
Fusion Beta supports directx 9 unless the game requires shaders.

The current version of Fusion only supports 8.1