MBP Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac-collector, Apr 17, 2012.

1. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

My friend told me he wanted to upgrade his old MBP processor to the Ivy Bridge ones, when they come out. I told him that's not really possible because you need to replace the whole logic board and he has a pre-unibody 2006 model. Has any one ever managed to put a unibody logic board in the pre-unibody chassis? or even tried?

What is the latest/fastest logic board (processor) he can realistically use in his 15"? I think he has the 2.16 GHz now.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not possible.

3. simsaladimbamba

Since the Aluminium MacBook Pro has another logic board design than the Unibody MacBook Pro, it will not work.
    The ports alone (one MBP has ports on both sides, one MBP models only on one) should be evidence enough.

And if your friend does not know such things, would it be really wise to even attempt to replace a logic board in an Aluminium MacBook Pro?

4. lamboman macrumors 6502

The processors are soldered onto the motherboard, as far as I know, meaning that the only way he's going to be able to upgrade his machine is to replace the logic board with one from the same model with higher end components - something that will cost more to do than buying a used, newer model.

Honestly, best thing for him to do is to pick up a refurbished, or reduced-price 2011 model if he wants a new machine at bargain prices.

5. mac-collector thread starter macrumors regular

mac-collector

Thanks Miles. I'll confirm what I already told him. But does anyone know the answer to the other question? How much can he really upgrade it?

6. simsaladimbamba

7. lamboman macrumors 6502

See my last post.

Of course, memory upgrades and an SSD are possible, though whether these upgrades are worth it are a different matter.

8. mac-collector thread starter macrumors regular

mac-collector

He knows that, but what he doesn't know is what the fastest logic board he can possibly use. I don't know how he will justify that, but he really likes his old MBP and his aunt recently passed away and I think he received some money from her.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If he really wanted to do such a thing, he could go to everymac.com and see what was the speed of the fastest processor available for his model year and then purchase a new logic board (if he could even get one still) with that processor on it. That would be his only option and then swap in that logic board. The swapping of a specific component is not possible for the basic hobbyist, as it requires special micro-minature component removal and replacement training and tools. Generally these components are mounted using a solder flow machine and not using general soldering practices (if repairing using a soldering station, you are looking at a hot air system that would probably be in the thousand of dollar range to correctly perform the repair/ swap so not for the faint of heart).

10. Bear macrumors G3

If he just likes the styling of the system, he might be better off looking for the last model of that design made to buy instead of trying to upgrade his current system.

11. simsaladimbamba

The speed increase would also be not that substantial for the money he'd have to pay for such logic board.
    Mac Benchmarks by Geekbench

One would be better of buying a refurbed Unibody model or a used Unibody or Aluminium model.

12. mac-collector thread starter macrumors regular

mac-collector

Thanks. I'll point him to everymac so he can make his mind up whether he wants to do this.

The point is he doesn't want to switch computers. He received his MBP as a gift from his aunt and it now holds a lot of "sentimental value" to him.

Thanks for all your help.

13. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Sounds fair enough. Well if he's willing to invest in a soldering station that would cost more than a few computers, who's to go against. :cool: