Mbp -- Usb Port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iguess25, Jun 20, 2008.

1. iguess25 macrumors regular

Why don't my usb port on the left side don't work when I plug my ipod video to MBP?

Also with certain usb cords it don't work either..

It will work w/ certain usb stuff.. Do I have to enable something?

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well the iPod should work no problem - but if i remember correctly, one of the ports on the MBP is just basically a hub off of the other port, so it's not a fully powered connection or something like that - can someone confirm?

3. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

someone plz do.. is that true/ whats the point of putting a non powered usb port? apple?
    ipod dont work on the left side.

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

They both work just fine for me. Yours must be defective.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yes they both work - that wasn't the question. The question was whether or not the macbook/pros have two hardware USB ports or one with another port piggybacking off of it

6. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

Are they? but it work now.

7. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Apparently the right port is on a hub and the left port is not.
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1717
    I opened up System Profiler with a flash drive in the left port and my ipod in the right port, and apparently the right port is shared with iSight. It shouldn't make much of a difference unless you are actually using iSight.

Attached Files:

8. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

i think you mean the firewire 800 and 400 ports. The 800 bridges through the 400? Or vise verse. So using both at the same time bottle necks it up.

Or maybe i dont know anything...

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Nope - talking bout USB

10. bamf macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure I've charged my iPhone off of both sides.

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

They should both work normally, and they can both provide full power to charge an iPod, but the right one apparently shares its bandwidth with iSight, meaning that if you are using something like an external hard drive on the right port at the same time as you are using iSight, you might notice reduced transfer rates to the hard drive. The original poster seems to have a defective USB port on the left side, but it sounds like it's working now.

12. crayonshin macrumors member

I have a 160GB 7200 RPM 2.5" hard drive in an external case that runs fine off USB power alone from either port. It works even if I'm running the MBP from battery power. That said, once in a while, the left one does require me to unplug/replug the USB cable a second time before it mounts the volume. Doesn't happen too often though.