Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebd.i.am

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I love my MBP but I would enjoy a system with a larger desktop space to work with, also a system with more HDD space and a much more powerful graphical power would be nice for gaming.

Now the hard decision is to either wait for a iMac update or sell my mbp now, getting more money for it now then waiting later, and purchasing a current revision iMac

:rolleyes:

grr.. lol.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
of course no one can say except SJ.... but its not likely the next imac will be a big change from now... it wont be nehalem 4core or anything :)

i think u can buy ok now

johnjay1776

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
I love my MBP but I would enjoy a system with a larger desktop space to work with, also a system with more HDD space and a much more powerful graphical power would be nice for gaming.

Now the hard decision is to either wait for a iMac update or sell my mbp now, getting more money for it now then waiting later, and purchasing a current revision iMac

:rolleyes:

grr.. lol.

Why not just purchase a larger LCD to attach your MBP to? You can add an external hard drive for additional drive space. As for the gaming ... I didn't know that the iMacs were were really all that powerful as far as the graphics were concerned ...

Having said this, how much do you want for your MBP? :)

ebd.i.am

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Havnt thought of a price yet, I upgraded the ram to 4GB and hdd to 500GB

I would think too the 8800GS would be a good step up in power compaired to the 8600M in the mbp.

Maybe they will revise the iMac come macworld 2009 and bump the gpu to something more powerful?

ebd.i.am

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Sacramento, CA
true. good alternatives.

Dunno, but I'd still rather have a desktop. I really need mobility in a computer so a desktop would be better i think..

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
true. good alternatives.

Dunno, but I'd still rather have a desktop. I really need mobility in a computer so a desktop would be better i think..

that statement is really confusing...

i love my iMac. I also returned my MBP to get it. i use an old dell for browsing around the house and my iPhone when im on trips. works out quite well.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
woops sorry i meant i really dont need mobility in a computer lol

I had a MB and an iMac. Found I just didn't nee the MB, sold it and upgraded my iMac (however, I bought a used one -- just with higher specs).

Having said that, I think it's a little risky to move to an iMac right now because they are due for an update in the early part of 09, and at that time a) there could be a major change to the new GPU structure, which is quite likely to be the "go-forward" GPU structure for Snow Leopard (i.e. offloading processing to the GPU). And even if it wasn't a major change, the current gen of refurbs will drop in price, and you can get more for your money.

Unless you can get a good price on a used one, I'd stick w/the MBP for a little time still, and see what happens in Jan/Feb/Mar timeframe.

But, if you need it now, then you need it now...

What about moving to a new MBP 15" w/an external monitor?

ebd.i.am

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I would get a external lcd monitor but I am tight on desk space.

I guess I will just stick it out and wait for early next year to see what comes out, I hope my current mbp doesn't drop in valve within that time frame. I am counting on selling my current machine and using that money plus a little of my own cash to purchase a new iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.