MBP user wanting to upgrade to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ebd.i.am, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. ebd.i.am macrumors 6502

    ebd.i.am

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA
    #1
    I love my MBP but I would enjoy a system with a larger desktop space to work with, also a system with more HDD space and a much more powerful graphical power would be nice for gaming.

    Now the hard decision is to either wait for a iMac update or sell my mbp now, getting more money for it now then waiting later, and purchasing a current revision iMac

    :rolleyes:

    grr.. lol.
     
  2. aki macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    Location:
    Japan
    #2
    of course no one can say except SJ.... but its not likely the next imac will be a big change from now... it wont be nehalem 4core or anything :)

    i think u can buy ok now
     
  3. vansouza macrumors 68000

    vansouza

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2006
    Location:
    West Plains, MO USA Earth
    #3
    If you need it now buy it now... but if you only want it then wait. Thus spake Zarathustra.
     
  4. johnjay1776 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2008
    #4
    Why not just purchase a larger LCD to attach your MBP to? You can add an external hard drive for additional drive space. As for the gaming ... I didn't know that the iMacs were were really all that powerful as far as the graphics were concerned ...

    Having said this, how much do you want for your MBP? :)
     
  5. ebd.i.am thread starter macrumors 6502

    ebd.i.am

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA
    #5
    Havnt thought of a price yet, I upgraded the ram to 4GB and hdd to 500GB

    I would think too the 8800GS would be a good step up in power compaired to the 8600M in the mbp.

    Maybe they will revise the iMac come macworld 2009 and bump the gpu to something more powerful?
     
  6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #6
    the graphics isn't too far off. just get an external as suggested by someone.
     
  7. ebd.i.am thread starter macrumors 6502

    ebd.i.am

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA
    #7
    true. good alternatives.

    Dunno, but I'd still rather have a desktop. I really need mobility in a computer so a desktop would be better i think..
     
  8. bc008 macrumors 68000

    bc008

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #8
    that statement is really confusing...

    i love my iMac. I also returned my MBP to get it. i use an old dell for browsing around the house and my iPhone when im on trips. works out quite well.
     
  9. ebd.i.am thread starter macrumors 6502

    ebd.i.am

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA
    #9
    woops sorry i meant i really dont need mobility in a computer lol
     
  10. bking1000 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    #10
    I had a MB and an iMac. Found I just didn't nee the MB, sold it and upgraded my iMac (however, I bought a used one -- just with higher specs).

    Having said that, I think it's a little risky to move to an iMac right now because they are due for an update in the early part of 09, and at that time a) there could be a major change to the new GPU structure, which is quite likely to be the "go-forward" GPU structure for Snow Leopard (i.e. offloading processing to the GPU). And even if it wasn't a major change, the current gen of refurbs will drop in price, and you can get more for your money.

    Unless you can get a good price on a used one, I'd stick w/the MBP for a little time still, and see what happens in Jan/Feb/Mar timeframe.

    But, if you need it now, then you need it now...

    What about moving to a new MBP 15" w/an external monitor?
     
  11. ebd.i.am thread starter macrumors 6502

    ebd.i.am

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA
    #11
    I would get a external lcd monitor but I am tight on desk space.

    I guess I will just stick it out and wait for early next year to see what comes out, I hope my current mbp doesn't drop in valve within that time frame. I am counting on selling my current machine and using that money plus a little of my own cash to purchase a new iMac.
     

Share This Page