MBP Users - Are your trackpads even from left to right?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JD92, Apr 25, 2009.

1. JD92, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

after CONSTANT use on my trackpad for the last 3 years i can safely say that it is still and always will be level :) probably because i hit it in the middle...

3. delude macrumors 6502

I think the OP is talking about the Unibody MB, although I'm sure that he would get more response in the MacBook section.

My MBP's trackpad takes the same amount of clicking across the width, so there is definitely a small fault somewhere.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh yes your right, i just read the title and assumed it was for MBP's. mybad haha!

5. JD92, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

JD92 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD92

6. magamo macrumors 6502

The trackpad of my 17" unibody MBP requires a little more pressure to click on either side than on the center. Actually clicking on the bottom center is slightly softer than on the middle left or on the middle right. I've been using Tap to Click, so probably it has been like this since I opened the box. The difference is very subtle though.

I don't know how much difference there is across your trackpad, but if it's within the normal range, I guess it's just you were unlucky. You may or may not get the same problem on your new MacBook Pro.

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The bottom corners of my 15" (unibody) MacBook Pro's trackpad can depress further even after being clicked, while the center of the bottom can't. The pressure needed to click appears to be constant among the whole bottom side of the trackpad.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the trackpad on my 15" uniMBP looks and feels very even.

9. Skika macrumors 68030

10. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

My trackpad isn't even. It is slightly higher on the left side, and slightly lower on the right side. However, the pressure required to "click" it is the same.

note: My previous unibody MBP (I exchanged mine for a completely unrelated reason) had a trackpad that was totally even. If you're going to get a MBP just because of the trackpad, don't. But that doesn't mean that every unibody laptop has a bad trackpad. It's just the nature of the trackpad since the whole thing is a button. In the previous (non unibody) trackpad, the whole trackpad wasn't a button. This allowed apple to secure it better. When they made the whole thing a button, they need to put in some "wiggle room" for the button.

11. Illicit macrumors 6502

Think maybe that was intentional to let people more easily press the button with their thumbs on the left/right sides?

my mbp's trackpad is built like that as well. In terms of depression though, it's all even from left to right.

12. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

having used a unibody macbook & macbookpro 15" they were both flush and even with the top case and were smooth.

my unibody MBP 17" is even across but the trackpad is slightly recessed and not smooth across form the topcase to the trackpad...but only by a hair or two.

no problems with mine yet :)

13. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

The track on my UMBP is even all around and only requires a bit more pressure in right corner than anywhere else, but in my experience I only use the middle of the trackpad.

14. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck