MBP Utilities help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ObuckiO, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I have a 08' 4g MBP running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8; I would like to know some key issue's to look out for in Utilities such as, activity monitor, console and network utility, etc. I have no anti-virus type software that i bought after initial purchase, but i can't seem to find out if Yahoo is giving me malware or Trojan problems at all. I would also like to know how to manually find out if i have either one of them. Yahoo seems to be the trashiest internet service ever made (Facebook sucks too). If anyone would share a tip or two on how to keep a Mac crispy and clean and alert, drop me a post. Thanks a ton if you do.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

GGJstudios, I knew you'd be along to answer this one. :)

Now I'm just waiting for the whole malware vs. virus argument to start up like it usually does!

4. ObuckiO thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know if i'm being rude or out of place asking these sort of questions, because i'm not used to the regulars of this forum. GGJ seems to help a lot of people (from what i've seen) on here. Do i have to earn some time in?
    I'm on a few forum's where newbie's are kinda ignored, but be patient with me. I can try to help people too. Thanks for the responses, both of ya.:apple:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Anyone can help answer questions. Just pick threads and questions where you have something to offer and jump right in. People sometimes forget that because someone is new to a forum doesn't mean they're new to computers or Macs. I brought a few decades of computer experience with me when I joined almost 4 years ago.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I think all important questions have been answered. Now I'm just wondering why you are using Facebook and Yahoo if you don't like them? Doesn't make sense to me.

7. ObuckiO thread starter macrumors regular

Yahoo is just my email. I don't trust some emails/attachments from anyone. That is how i thought i might get malware, trojans, etc.
    Facebook= Fakebook i don't use, i've heard of to much bad **** about that joke ass site.
    My system runs smooth for 3 yrs old, i just wanted to know some tips on how to manually stay on top of performance. I'll catch on. Thanks

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only Mac OS X malware in the wild is a handful of trojans, which require you to actively install them before they can infect your Mac. Simply opening an attachment won't do it. Read the Virus/Malware link I posted.
    Performance tips for Mac OS X

9. ObuckiO thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks GGJ :apple: