Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhazeghi

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Hello,

I currently have a 15" MBP (2.0GHZ C2D, bought secondhand). It's a nice machine, but the battery life is quite poor at this point, it gets rather hot, and performance running Lightroom (I do a lot of RAW editing) is very slow. I'm looking at getting either a current 15" MBP (2.0GHZ i7) or 21" iMac (2.5GHZ i5). I figure that the newer Sandy Bridge architecture, plus the quad core processors should help a lot.

I need a laptop for other daily tasks too (coding and VMWare), so if I get the iMac, I'd keep my current laptop. If I got a new MBP, I could sell my current laptop, so I think the net cost will be roughly equal. I'd prefer to have one system, not two as synchronization is a pain, but only if the performance of the laptop would be pretty close to the iMac.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

DH

Kyzelios

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Canada
I'd recommend getting a new MacBook Pro as it will give you the best of both worlds in terms of performance and portability.

oLNutjob

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
After importing 70-12mp raw shots into Lightroom, I selected all and pre-rendered 100% previews.

On a 2011, 15"/2.2ghz, it took less than 50 seconds.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Avoiding synchronization can be very important, so personally I'd take that into account and go with the Macbook Pro. However, wirelessly shared directories are very useful and could be what you're searching for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.