MBP v iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MalcolmJID, Sep 15, 2008.

1. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

I hate making new threads and seeing others with similar titles, but not quite the answers in the topic I need.....:eek:

I currently have a MB (specs in sig) and very happy with it, even two years on. I'm thinking of getting a new Mac in the next few months (probably Christmas time but possibly earlier).

I do mainly surf/email/messenger/listen to music/word process etc, but occasionally I (try to) game with an XP bootcamp install. Now, these aren't very graphics intensive games (stuff like BVE4 and Train Simulator) and I manage to just plod along on the MB, but I was hoping that I could get better graphics performance along with the new Mac.

I also occasionally edit music. This is currently only an occasional thing, but starting Uni in a few weeks with a course in Sound Engineering means this usage will step up an awful lot.

I was initially thinking of buying a MBP (base model), to still be portable and have more power, but then I considered buying an iMac instead (the 20", second-up model at £949), and keeping my MB. Ofc, the MB could still be used for what I use it for now, but then the iMac can be used for the "proper work" that I'll be doing along my course.

A imagine a few people will mention syncing, but if I'm only using the MB for basic things, I'll have no need to keep it synced (I can copy over a couple of Word files with a memory stick in about 10 seconds).

I just wished for the advice of the MR community, but at this juncture, I feel the iMac might be the better choice for me.

P.S. As I mentioned, I start Uni soon, so this will be ordered online using the HE discount (which I've been told is around 12%-15% off regular price) and as I can expect £949 to become around £830, this is good price to be looking at!

Cheers, Karl.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

IMO, get the iMac and keep the MB for your portable needs. I think it'd work well.

3. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

Agreed. iMac + MB for your portability needs = :D

4. jeremyrader macrumors member

I'd say go for the iMac as well.

In a couple of years, think about trading in the MB for a MBA (or even a Touch) for more note-taking, web-surfing, e-mailing portability (the textbooks seem to get bigger every year, and every ounce helps...). Then when you're done with school, congratulate yourself with a Mac Pro!

I'm very happy with my MBP as my do-it-all computer, but I can see the draw for a dedicated desktop and a portable do-most-of-it.

5. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Why on earth would you need 2 laptops? Get the imac!

6. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I would have sold the MB and just had the MBP!:rolleyes:

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I stick by my original advice.:)

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How are you getting to Uni? Transporting an iMac would be rather a pain. So, I would recommend the MBP.

9. mac4matt macrumors member

Both are great machines. But the MBP is just awesome (IMO). Get the MBP - but wait till Oct. 14 :)

10. iTronz macrumors member

MBP and an external monitor, keyboard and mouse :). If you went for the iMac and kept the MB then use dropbox too sync your documents between the machines.

11. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm living at home, so the iMac would be staying there, for when I record/edit audio, and I'd use the MB to take to Uni to take notes etc. The uni will have its own Macs that I'd use for the "proper work" a uni.