MBP v Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LifeCerealRocks, Jul 12, 2008.

1. LifeCerealRocks macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm new to posting to the forums, but have been a long time reader. I had a few questions regarding a future purchase of either a macbook or macbook pro. I am a college student and would be receiving the apple education discount. I was wondering the following:

a) What the benefit of having one over the other would be?
    b) Should I wait to purchase, seeing how their product cycle is ending soon (I start school on the 26th of August)

This is off-topic, but I just spent the better half of the last 2 hours reading the mac fraud thing, and was wondering if they ever caught the dude?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

When I got my MBP, I had the same debate as you. I chose the MBP mainly for the larger screen. I would wait until the beginning of August to order. You want to make sure that you get it in time to go off to college.

3. effer macrumors member

Using both, I find the MBP's screen superior. The viewing angle on the MB is very acute, and I find it really annoying.

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Buy the MBP if you need a larger screen (and option of matte finish), powerful graphics chipset (handy for gaming), and expresscard slot.

Otherwise, get a Macbook. In terms of day to day performance, the Macbook is the same as a MBP.

And I'd be surprised if Apple release an update to either of these models before the end of August, so you may as well buy now.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Depends on you needs and budget, but I'd go for the MBP because of larger and better screen, powerful graphics, metal body and keyboard backlighting :)

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

If you have a need for extreme graphics performance, that is to say that if you play 3D games regularly, do 3D modelling or edit movies, you should go with the Pro.

The other advantages to it are really not worth the huge extra investment. MacBook is fine for just about everyone, including people who want to play games like The Sims 2 and Spore.

7. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I got the pro because I can:
    A) Afford it
    B) Afford to carry around the extra .4Lbs when I need to take it places
    C) Ideally I'd like to do some more video editing with it and the Pro will be better at that than any other laptop.

8. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Unless you need to use a massive (30inch) screen you'll be fine with a macbook and spend the money leftover on a big screen, keyboard and mouse.

I had the same decision a year ago but went for the pro because I thought I'd be moving around so much I would need the larger screen. Also, I use the fw800 which the macbook doesn't have for an external drive but it's not much faster, I just didn't want to daisy-chain a fw400 drive with my audio interface 'cos of the bad things I'd heard.

As it turned out, I don't take it with me very often so could do with a nice big screen which I can't bring myself to afford...

If you want to play loads of games surely you'd want a desktop anyway?

9. LifeCerealRocks thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I really don't have a budget, I've been interning all summer and just looking to upgrade my old laptop (which is by far the worst piece of crap ever).

Here are the reasons I want to get one over the other:

MBP:

Pros
    a) Bigger screen size
    b) Sweet Case
    c) Backlit keyboard and all the other nifty features that the macbook doesn't
    d)

Macbook:
    a) Cheaper
    b) Seems to be more portable

Also, I already have a touch, so with this student deal, where would be the best place to sell the iPod Touch that I would purchase with the MB or MBP?

10. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The reason MacBook Pro is so much more expensive than the MacBook is mainly the graphics card. Since you've already explained you won't be using it that often at all, it sounds like buying a MBP would be a big waste of money for you.

MacBook's screen is just fine.

11. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Yeah, I had a similar dilemma. I ended up opting for the MB. The screen is fine, and when used with an external monitor, you get all the high res benefits really. I have a 22" Wide Screen DELL monitor, and I get 1680x1050 no problem, looks great. And when it's mobile, 1280x800 is pretty good, considering it's a 13.3" screen...

12. Coprolite macrumors member

I bought my wife a CD MacBook, but she decided that she liked my iMac more. While I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade to a MBP, the MB has done a great job. It keeps soldiering on.

The only thing that will probably spur me to upgrade will be Snow Leopard. By the time it comes out, my MacBook will be 3 years old(although it still seems new to me....probably just a sign of my aging). I will then hope that the new GPU use by the OS will cause a big advantage for the MBP for all the "normal" processor intensive tasks that people do. Either that, as mentioned before in this thread, I buy a huge monitor, which makes me upgrade ;)

My personality always pushes me to get the best possible, but in this case, I have been more than happy with the MB. I don't think you'll lose out in either case. If you hurt/lose a MB in school, it will be much less painful to replace or repair.... Heck buying a refurb. would be easier on the pocket book...

Best of luck with your choice.