MBP + Verizon MiFi not working together.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsnotmeitsyou, Dec 16, 2010.

1. itsnotmeitsyou macrumors newbie

OK, so here is the issue. I have several MBP's at my office. They can all connect to my wifi in the office and elsewhere no problem. However, when I try to connect one to a VZW MiFi 2200, they state that they are connected but the IP address doesn't change from the one assigned by my WIFI. The Macbooks will not connect to the internet, I cannot even navigate to the config page on the MiFi device.

I have tried everything I can think of. I have deleted every plist associated with internet/airport and reset. I have reset the PRAM and NVRAM. I have deleted all the airport connection and reinstalled it. I have created new locations. I have even reformatted one of the MBPs and tried to connect to the MiFi. I have tried 3 different MiFis (2 were updated with all the latest software/firmware, the 3rd was out of date). Nothing works.

I have no problem connecting to the MiFi devices with my windows machines, or from Windows on bootcamp. I am pulling my hair out over this as I have several MiFi devices that are nearly worthless for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mac Composer macrumors member

I wish I could help you more, but my Verizon MiFi card works perfectly with my MBP. All I had to do was turn the MiFi on, let it connect to the network, then choose it in my Airport menu and type the password in. We bought an Air last month and connected it the same way, it just worked.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

self assigned ip? - if all those mbps cant do it, did you consider tis an issue with the mifi thingy and not the mbp?

4. 390kwt macrumors newbie

other than to reiterate that it does work with the mbp, wish i could help. got the 2200 this week and after a bit of fiddling with the VZ access manager i got it to connect. had to load it twice before it connected and asked for the p/w. then was able to trash it.

5. itsnotmeitsyou thread starter macrumors newbie

No, all of the MBPs use a 192.168.3.xxx address. This is a valid address on the work network, but not on the mifi. Even going in and manually setting the IP address on the MBP won't allow it to connect.